more on nouns

anniemac

england - english
Can anyone tell me which are the nouns in these sentences? It may seem trivial, but I'm getting confused with gerunds. I've highlighted in bold which I think are the nouns and written after each one what is confusing me:

1. The sun was shining brightly yesterday (unsure about 'shining' - a verb or gerund?)
2. The sun is shining brightly over Leeds, not Wakefield (again, not sure what 'shining' is here)
3. Does Deirdre prefer eating omelettes or scrambled eggs (getting confused about what 'eating' is)

thankyou!
:)

• Leeds and Wakefield are nouns too.
    The shinings are not gerunds.
    (3) is not so easy, partly because I would have said "... to eat omelettes or ..." - eating feels more like a verb than a noun, though. Call in an expert :)

Can anyone tell me which are the nouns in these sentences? It may seem trivial, but I'm getting confused with gerunds. I've highlighted in bold which I think are the nouns and written after each one what is confusing me:

1. The sun :tick: was shining brightly yesterday (unsure about 'shining' - a verb or gerund?)
    2. The sun :tick: is shining brightly over Leeds, not Wakefield (again, not sure what 'shining' is here)
    3. Does Deirdre:tick: prefer eating:tick: omelettes:tick: or scrambled eggs :tick: (getting confused about what 'eating' is)

thankyou!

If Deirdre had preferred eating, drinking and swimming, I would agree with l33...
    But I'm not sure that eating in "...prefer eating omelettes or ..." is a gerund.

Sorry, I missed 'Leeds' and 'Wakefield' out in the second sentence, of course, they are nouns too.

So, as I understand it, in the first two sentences 'shining' is a verb.

In the third sentence 'eating' is an noun (gerund)?
    Can I explain my understanding of this and someone correct me if I am wrong? Is 'eating' a noun (gerund) because it is the object of the verb 'prefer' where 'Deirdre' is the subject???

Thankyou!

Sorry, I missed 'Leeds' and 'Wakefield' out in the second sentence, of course, they are nouns too.

So, as I understand it, in the first two sentences 'shining' is a verb.

In the third sentence 'eating' is an noun (gerund)?
    Can I explain my understanding of this and someone correct me if I am wrong? Is 'eating' a noun (gerund) because it is the object of the verb 'prefer' where 'Deirdre' is the subject???

That's it!

You understood very well that "shining" in the first two sentences is a verb.
    Does Deirdre prefer eating omelettes or scrambled eggs
    "eating" is a verb. You could replace "eating" with "to eat" (infinitive).
    Does= added because it is a cuestion.
    Deirdre is the subject= She is the person executing the action
    "prefer eating" = is what is happening
    "omelettes and scrambled eggs"= object (the thing that is being preferred)

Hope it helps

You understood very well that "shining" in the first two sentences is a verb.

"eating" is a verb. You could replace "eating" with "to eat" (infinitive).
    Does= added because it is a cuestion.
    Deirdre is the subject= She is the person executing the action
    "prefer eating" = is what is happening
    "omelettes and scrambled eggs"= object (the thing that is being preferred)

Hope it helps

Hi, Sal, I'd like to see eye to eye with you, but have you ever heard the following expression?

1. Seeing is believing.
    2. To see is to believe.

Are the two samples indentical to you?

Cheers,

Lewis

"Does Deirdre prefer eating omelettes or scrambled eggs"

So, before I get confused again, the general concensus is that there are 4 nouns in the above sentence, highlighted in bold.
    And that here 'eating' is a noun as it is the subject of the verb 'prefer'...i.e.eating is a gerund here and therefore a noun

Sorry to keep going over it but just want to get it right in my head!

I still am a bit lost when it comes to gerunds....why is English grammar so complicated!!!

Cheers ;)

Thankyou all for your words of advice...some really, really helpful comments.
    Particularly from Panjandrum...the link was very useful.

I don't think I am by any means an expert on gerunds yet, but at least I have answered my query in that 'eating' is a noun in the example sentence.

Many thanks everyone!

Back