more open to challenge as a record of reality

< Previous | Next >

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
Does the bold sentence mean "photographs attempted to take unreal photographs (staged photographs) more than the past"?

Context:
Yet all the questioning of the actual reality of what Fenton, Beato, and Brady photographed is a recent development. When the pictures became available, people accepted them as truth, and the images helped form attitudes towards the various military endeavours at the time.
By the First World War, photography was ubiquitous but more open to challenge as a record of reality. It was not only dangerous but also difficult to set up weighty and complex equipment near any action. Like Fenton, Beato, and Brady before them, some official photographers – often anonymous – arranged men and equipment in order to create images that showed more than endless, featureless no man’s land (Art and War by Laura Brandon).

• suzi br

English / England
    Not really.
    The thing being challenged is the notion that such photos are representative of “reality”.

What’s confusing me is her grammar:
    1. her use of the word “more”
    2. a passive verb structure.

More than what? More than they were when they were published? (as she says in the preceding sentences). Challenged by whom? Their contemporaries or modern audiences?

I suppose Fenton etc were photographers from earlier wars so she’s comparing the way audiences received the WW1 photos to the earlier works.
    I still don’t know who did the challenging, though.

suzi br

English / England
    Pondering on this.

I don’t think she’s saying there was “more” staging. The older photographers would have had equally cumbersome equipment and “created” scenes for their images.

But I guess your reading could be correct. That there was MORE staging.

o_O

I’d be interested to see what other readers think.

< Previous | Next >