More people now leave [] than come the other way.

Gelbhar

Lithuanian
I am reading an article The Tories’ barmiest policy | The Economist, and I cannot understand the last sentence of this paragraph:
The country has, in effect, installed a “keep out” sign over the white cliffs of Dover. <-----Excess quotation deleted.-----> In the past two years the Tories have made it much harder for students and foreign workers and family members to enter and settle in the country. Britain is not only losing the war for global talent, it is scarcely competing. More people now leave to take up job offers in other countries than come the other way.
Does it mean that more people leave Great Britain than arrive, or does it mean that more people prefer other countries to work than GB?

Thank you for you answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • e2efour

UK English
    I am not sure what this article is saying since net immigration in 2014 is up (i.e. more people are immigrating to the UK than those emigrating).
    But it may be that the sentence is correct if it means the number of people coming to take up a job in the UK is less than the number of people leaving the UK for a job elsewhere.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I agree with e2efour. The sentence doesn't make it clear which two groups of people the writer is comparing.

< Previous | Next >