more so than is the case...

< Previous | Next >

sailor0416

korean
Hello,
I am a learner studying English.
As reading a book 'Food: the history of taste'. by Paul H. freedman, Yale professor of History., I have come across this sentence.
And there is one thing that I cannot understand.
The sentence below you can see bold with red color and italic part.
Here are my questions.
1) How come this can happen grammatically? If it is possible in English grammar, is there used an inversion or something?
2) And what is the meaning of it?
Thank you in advance.

Within the restricted opening hours of the establishment, a restaurant offers a variety of dishes, more so than is the case with an inn.

Last edited:
  • dermott

B.E. via Australian English
    Fair enough. I just found the text online too. It simply means a restaurant offers a variety of dishes while an inn tends not to. If you read the sentence before the one you quoted, it compares a restaurant to an inn. An inn is a place where locals gather, or a traveller's refuge, that also offers food. But food isn't an inn's major priority.

Aardvark01

British English (Midlands)
    The comparative "more so" refers to the variety of dishes. We can change the comparative and preserve the meaning:

Within the restricted opening hours of the establishment (whether it be a restaurant or an inn) a restaurant offers a wider variety of dishes than [is the case with] an inn.

< Previous | Next >