More Solaris

zzjing

Chinese - Mandarin
Zacząłem ich szukać, ale nim znalazłem, skoczyłem do drugiej szafy, rzucałem pudełkami ampułek, teraz strzykawka, gdzie, w sterylizatorach, nie mogłem jej złożyć zgrabiałymi rękami, palce były sztywne i nie chciały się zginać. Zacząłem furiacko walić ręką w pokrywę sterylizatora, ale nie czułem tego, jedynym odzewem było słabe mrowienie.​

And the new English translation:

I started looking for them, but before I found any I darted across to the other cabinet and began rifling through boxes of ampoules. Now I found a needle, which I fumbled to put in the sterilizer, my fingers stiff with cold and clumsy. I hammered furiously on the lid of the sterilizer, but I couldn’t even feel it, the only sensation was a slight tingling.​

Is the accurate? The original Polish is really hard to follow.

• jasio

Indeed it is. I would perhaps use a word syringe rather than needle, but it's peanuts.

One stylistical remark : the whole paragraph consists of only two complex phrases with the first one consisting of a series of short expressions linked by commas. As if he spoke after a run, unable to catch the air. It's deliberate, as it builds an impression of a hurry and nervousness. He doesn't even have to write how desperate he is, it's all in the language.

zzjing

Chinese - Mandarin
    Indeed it is. I would perhaps use a word syringe rather than needle, but it's peanuts.
    I did notice that.

One stylistical remark : the whole paragraph consists of only two complex phrases with the first one consisting of a series of short expressions linked by commas. As if he spoke after a run, unable to catch the air. It's deliberate, as it builds an impression of a hurry and nervousness. He doesn't even have to write how desperate he is, it's all in the language.
    Fascinating. Unfortunately, that's something inevitably lost in the translation. I wonder if there's some feature of the Polish language that makes this kind of construction more natural than in other languages.

jasio

Inflection, probably. In analytical languages, like English, the syntax is mostly fixed because it defines relationship between the words. In synthetic languages, like Polish, the relationship is defined by inflection, so you can place the words in almost any order. This is really a power tool with regards to the nuances.

zzjing

Chinese - Mandarin
    Inflection, probably. In analytical languages, like English, the syntax is mostly fixed because it defines relationship between the words. In synthetic languages, like Polish, the relationship is defined by inflection, so you can place the words in almost any order. This is really a power tool with regards to the nuances.
    That's most interesting. I had no idea. Thanks for the explanation.

< Previous | Next >