More than.../Less than... (time expressions)

Stoggler

UK English
What's the best way of expressing "more than five years" or some such expression in Latin? You would usually use the time expression in the accusative, but any grammar (physical book or online) always only seem to give an exact period in their examples.

Thanks

• Starless74

Hello,
    my suggestion: Diutius/minus quam annos quinque.

If you are familiar with Latin (which I assume you are),
    just Google: diutius quam annos and minus quam annos to find quotes.

Last edited:

bearded

Diutius/minus quam annos quinque.
    Certainly correct - but I have a doubt you can probably solve. Suppose I wish to translate ''more than five years have elapsed..'' then I would use ''anni'' in the nominative case.... Diutius quam anni quinque wouldn't sound correct, I think, because the meaning ''longer than five years'' wouldn't fit. Or would it? Would plus quam anni quinque be wrong? Or would you use plures? Plures quam quinque...
    ( my Latin is a bit 'rusty' ).

Last edited:

Sobakus

diutius is specifically "longer", and this doesn't sound idiomatic with a specific time reference just like the English"longer than five years". Can be used, but one would expect a specific context. To say "greater than numeral" just use plūs or amplius, the latter especially with larger numbers. Notice that when referring to approximate time, these directly modify the numeral, i.e. no quam:

plūs quam decem diēs abest, plūs annōs quīnque nōn vīdī, amplius annōs trīgintā Rōmae habitāvit.
    "less" is just minus, only the quam seems to be even more dispreferred:

minus quīnquennium est cum illīc fuī