more than made up

rich7

Venezuela español
From a performance standpoint, Burnett's season had ended much earlier. He last won on Aug. 19, and was 0-6 with an ERA of 5.87 across his last seven starts. So his lifetime losing record (49-50), the frequent fuel for skepticism, is somewhat misleading, since he was a 49-44 winner until that drought.
Addressing the burning bridge he crossed out of Florida, Burnett said, "I only regret the timing. But I always speak from the heart.
"Anyway, it got me a week's vacation with my family," he said, flashing a broad grin.
Burnett's "benching" by the Marlins, incidentally, came with him one inning short of 210 -- which would have been worth a bonus of $50,000. Tuesday, he more than made up for that debit.

meaning?

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hola Rich7,

Thank heavens there is still someone to share baseball with while the snow falls.

I don't know the details of this case, but here is my guess. Burnett is, or more likely was, a pitcher for the Marlins. He lost a bonus of $50,000 by not pitching 210 innings for them. However, he just signed a new contract, either with the Marlins, or most probably with another team, and it's terms were so generous that they more than exceeded the $50,000 he had to forego.

I'll look up the entire article and correct this post if my guesses are wrong.

Un saludo,
    Cuchu

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Found it:

Dec. 6The Blue Jays have signed A.J. Burnett to a five-year contract worth about $55 million, according to numerous reports. Burnett will be slotted as the No. 2 starter behind Roy Halladay.

This confirms the guess: his annual earnings of over
    $10 million will more than make up for the loss of $50,000.

rich7

Venezuela español
    I got it now and thanks for the clear explanation you threw here.
    It's my guess like I am, you're a MLB fan 365 day a year. Thanks god Im not the only freak in the planet.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    rich7 said:
    I got it now and thanks for the clear explanation you threw here.
    It's my guess like I am, you're a MLB fan 365 day a year. Thanks god Im not the only freak in the planet.
    Yep - we got them both here:D It's great to see you guys back together again.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    panjandrum said:
    Yep - we got them both here:D It's great to see you guys back together again.

Rich will understand this, and our esteemed triple AAA Panj may....

I've been warming the bench for a month or so, on the DL, as it were, but am back taking practice swings, at least in the grapefruit league.:)

rich7

Venezuela español
    Actually, Im just getting to warm up cuz here in my country they're just starting the winter season so we're all ready for the WCB.

PS. what did you want to mean saying "as it were"

elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    rich7 said:
    Actually, Im just getting to warm up cuz here in my country they're just starting the winter season so we're all ready for the WCB.

PS. what did you want to mean saying "as it were"

"as it were" = so to speak, in a way, kind of, rather