morirse - estirar la pata

< Previous | Next >
  • trich59

English-USA
    OK, gracias, but would you use morirse estirar la pata or just estirar la pata? Or can you use both?

Last edited by a moderator:

aloofsocialite

English - USA (California)
    Greetings and welcome,

There are a few examples of "murió estirando la pata" in Google but not many, and it doesn't make sense to my non-native ear. "He died kicking the bucket"? Sounds redundant at best. Did you hear someone say it? Can you provide us context please?

Thanks,
    aloof

trich59

English-USA
    Yes, someone told me in Costa Rica that morirse estirar la pata is like when someone drops dead on the ground, like from a heart attack or something, but I was just confused if you use the whole phrase together. But I think you've answered my question well enough. Muchísimas gracias.

aloofsocialite

English - USA (California)
    Literally, "estirar la pata" means to "stretch a leg out." Whenever I hear the phrase I think of a cartoon character falling over on its back with its legs stiffly stretched out. AKA "kicking the bucket" or "biting the dust" or "falling over dead." I agree with aldonza I've only ever heard it used on its own.

aztlaniano

English (Aztlán, US sector)
    Sounds like overkill to me. ( ;) ) I've certainly never heard both "morirse" and "estirar la pata" used together in Spain.
    Incidentally, there is also "la palmó" (he died, croaked, cashed in his chips, etc.).

< Previous | Next >