Moroccan Arabic: wayli ويلي

bamia

Dutch
Hi guys,

What does wayli mean in Moroccan Arabic? I know it means something like "my utmost depth of hell" but it isn't meant to be taken literally given the context it's usually used in. Anyone?

• apricots

English - US
    If it's the same as Palestinian it's roughly equivalent to "woe is me" in English.

fenakhay

French (France) / Arabic (Morocco)
    ويل (wayl) means woe, grief. So basically, it means : my woe/grief.

bamia

Dutch
    If it's the same as Palestinian it's roughly equivalent to "woe is me" in English.
    How should I use that? Can you say ya wayli! like you would say ya nyali or ya bakhti ?

Exactly, wăyli with a long "a" sound differs from "willy" or " a wīly ", the first being a bit more masculine and used to express disbelief and surprise, like responding with (Yeah!) in English.
    Hello my chaoui friend, most people in my vicinity (I live in Holland, lots of Moroccans around) who use wili or awili are women. Coincidence?

Last edited:

tounsi51

French, Tunisian Arabic
    I was also told that "wili" or "wili wili" are used by women. Men would day wayili but it has a different meaning

Hello my chaoui friend, most people in my vicinity (I live in Holland, lots of Moroccans around) who use wili or awili are women. Coincidence?
    Hi,
    Yes, That's what i meant, "wăyli" is usually used by men, and has the meaning of "yeah!" or "Is it!?" as i said, while women use "wili" with all its variations to express sorrow. It would be considered a behavior of femininity if used by a man.

< Previous | Next >