Morphemes of 'responsible'

< Previous | Next >

HifaMo

Moroccan Arabic
Hi,

The word 'responsible' confuses me.

Does it contain two morphemes: {response} + {-ible}

Or just one free morpheme: {responsible}

Its etymology shows it comes from the French 'responsible', so I am confused.

Thanks.

• HifaMo

Moroccan Arabic
    Thanks.
    My handout states it is the same as {tangible}, one morpheme.

The link speaks about morphology in general.

HifaMo

Moroccan Arabic
    Thanks, Loob.

I will have an exam in which I will be asked to divide words into morphemes.

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    Ah, I see, HifaMo - you have my sympathies....

To my mind, it really isn't easy in English, because we have so many words which have been adopted from other languages, in which the 'elements' of the words will be more meaningful to some people than to others.

For example, I could make a case for tangible consisting of two morphemes. But that's because, for me, the {tang-} has meaning - it's one form of a morpheme meaning "touch", which has other forms such as {tact} as in contact and tactile.

Good luck with the exam!

Last edited:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Thanks, Loob.

I will have an exam in which I will be asked to divide words into morphemes.
    I hope you can ask someone who knows what the exam requires for specific examples of English words and the number of morphemes in them. That will give you some guidance as to whether suffixes and prefixes would be counted as morphemes, and under what conditions -- if they are, along with the other issues raised in this thread and the thread Loob has linked to.

HifaMo

Moroccan Arabic
    Good luck with the exam!
    Thanks, Loob. I appreciate your kindness.

Thanks, Cagey. In fact, I have been attending an Intro to morphology course for some two months, so I do have some guidance, but questions keep rising.

Thanks.

< Previous | Next >