mortal support

< Previous | Next >

rafajuntoalmar

Castellano (tanto argentino como peninsu
Hello,

I'm trying to know the meaning of the expression in the title. Here's the fragment: "I couldn’t bear the sight of him, bent, shuddering, seeming to lean for mortal support upon the chair." And here's my interpretation: "No soportaba verlo así, encorvado y temblando, como si se inclinara sobre la silla en procura de mortal support".
Thank you,

Rafa

• rafajuntoalmar

No lo creo. He buscado la expresión en la red y la he encontrado en algunos sitios (que enlazo abajo), pero no parece que sea un juego de palabras sino una expresión más o menos habitual... o un frecuente error tipográfico al escribir apoyo moral... Se trata de un tipo de apoyo, de eso no parece haber duda.

Connections

The Granny

Immortal Bad Boys

Raposu

English USA
    I not a play on words. but a typo for "moral" as in "moral support." Of course one would normally lean on a chair for physical support, so the use of "moral support upon the chair" does play on the idea that the moral support is strong, just as the four legs of the chair provide a more stable support than would a cane.

rafajuntoalmar

Hello,

Sorry for posting this after a few days but I think some of you might still be interested in the (intended) meaning of "mortal support" in the book I was reading, so I give you the link to a similar thread in the English only forum.
    mortal support
    Cheers!

Rafa

Amapolas

Castellano rioplatense
    Thanks, Rafa, for solving the mystery. The author was playing with words, after all, though not with moral support but with mortal sin.
    Writers! ;)

< Previous | Next >