Mosca muerta

  • gisele73

    Senior Member
    Spanish - Peru
    Hi :)

    Well mosca muerta (literally "dead fly"), is used to describe a person that seems to be innocent or even silly but isn't.

    Don't know if there's a word for that in English.

    P.S. But it can also be used in a contemptuous way, when we say someone is a mosca muerta.
     

    La_Nereida

    Senior Member
    Español - Inglés
    Hi!

    I'm not sure if there is any equivalence in English ... or at least not "literal". Anyway is more common to say " mosquita muerta".

    " No quiero saber nada de esa mosquita muerta".

    This is my version, but as I said before ... it's literal:

    I don't want to know anything about that little dead fly.

    It sounds so weird ... let's wait for others suggestions!

    Cheers!

    La NeReIdA
     

    warburtonrichard

    Member
    UK, English
    There is a great english phrase that "butter wouldn't melt in his/her mouth" which means the same, as your description, it would imply that they appear to be completely innocent and pure, but is not. It's definitely pejoritive.
     

    gisele73

    Senior Member
    Spanish - Peru
    warburtonrichard said:
    There is a great english phrase that "butter wouldn't melt in his/her mouth" which means the same, as your description, it would imply that they appear to be completely innocent and pure, but is not. It's definitely pejoritive.
    Yes. I hadn't heard that phrase before, but it's in the link Marinax posted.

    Cheers :)
     

    Eugin

    Senior Member
    Argentina (Spanish)
    warburtonrichard said:
    There is a great english phrase that "butter wouldn't melt in his/her mouth" which means the same, as your description, it would imply that they appear to be completely innocent and pure, but is not. It's definitely pejoritive.
    yes, warburton!:thumbsup:
    I have checken in my Oxford dictionary and there it gives the same example: "to look as if butter would not melt in one´s mouth" (ser una mosquita muerta)

    Cheers!!!
     

    gian_eagle

    Senior Member
    Peru - Castellano
    creo que el sentido que le das ahi, Gotitadeleche, se desvia un poco de lo que quiere decir "mosquita muerta".
     

    gotitadeleche

    Senior Member
    U.S.A. English
    gian_eagle said:
    creo que el sentido que le das ahi, Gotitadeleche, se desvia un poco de lo que quiere decir "mosquita muerta".
    ¿Me puedes explicar por qué? ¿No es una persona que finge ser innocente pero en realidad no lo es? ¿No es ese tipo de persona un "hypocrit?

    Gracias
     

    gian_eagle

    Senior Member
    Peru - Castellano
    yo mas bien pensaba que era una persona inocente que si finge pero justamente no por ser astuta... pero quizas me equivoco.

    si es hipocrita, pero en un sentido peyorativo, cuando una chica trata de hacer ver "menos" a otra. esto es lo que tengo entendido.
     

    gotitadeleche

    Senior Member
    U.S.A. English
    gian_eagle said:
    yo mas bien pensaba que era una persona inocente que si finge pero justamente no por ser astuta... pero quizas me equivoco.

    si es hipocrita, pero en un sentido peyorativo, cuando una chica trata de hacer ver "menos" a otra. esto es lo que tengo entendido.
    OK, gracias por la explicación, gian eagle.
     

    gian_eagle

    Senior Member
    Peru - Castellano
    de todas maneras gotita, si no te convence la explicacion, esperemos la respuesta de otros foreros, si?
     

    gisele73

    Senior Member
    Spanish - Peru
    jetjet1901 said:
    Thank you for all the helpful responses. This is great!
    :)

    I hope it's clear for you now, 'cause it can have more than one meaning. Sometimes it is used just to say a person is insignificant (usually a woman).
     

    alahay

    Senior Member
    US
    Phoenicia
    Eugin said:
    yes, warburton!:thumbsup:
    I have checken in my Oxford dictionary and there it gives the same example: "to look as if butter would not melt in one´s mouth" (ser una mosquita muerta)

    Cheers!!!
    checked (verificado)
    chicken (pollo)
    checken (no existe)
     

    abeltio

    Senior Member
    Spanish, Argentina
    En Argentina...

    Este tipo es un "mosquita muerta".

    Somebody that has no backbone...

    This guy is a wimp.
     
    < Previous | Next >
    Top