most information

azz

Senior Member
armenian
Can one say "most information" instead of "most of the information"?

Most information was lost.

instead of:

Most of the information was lost.
 
  • Eddie

    Senior Member
    USA - English
    Hi, Azz!

    Your second choice is the grammatically correct one. However, you can say more information was lost or more of the informtation was lost.

    Hope that helps.

    Ed
     

    te gato

    Senior Member
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    azz said:
    Can one say "most information" instead of "most of the information"?

    Most information was lost.

    instead of:

    Most of the information was lost.

    Hi azz;
    I agree with Eddie on this one..the first is better..

    You can say the second one..but to me it just is not complete...

    te gato;)
     

    azz

    Senior Member
    armenian
    Thanks a lot.
    I did a google word search and apparently some people use it! To me it sounded odd. That's why I checked with you.
     

    te gato

    Senior Member
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    azz said:
    Thanks a lot.
    I did a google word search and apparently some people use it! To me it sounded odd. That's why I checked with you.
    Hi azz;
    No problem..You are welcome..
    P.S. I agree with you also..it does sound odd.:D

    te gato;)
     

    Nick

    Senior Member
    USA, English
    "most information" is prefectly fine:
    Most new information supports the committee's findings.
    The students present most information in an organized fashion.
    In fact, here you must use "most information" without "of the" in the middle:
    He is the person with the most information about the crime.
    The most information ever compiled on space can be found here.
     

    gaer

    Senior Member
    US-English
    Nick said:
    "most information" is prefectly fine:
    Most new information supports the committee's findings.




    The students present most information in an organized fashion.




    In fact, here you must use "most information" without "of the" in the middle:
    He is the person with the most information about the crime.




    The most information ever compiled on space can be found here.







    The question was also about a specific sentence:

    "Most information was lost."

    Your answer does not mention this sentence.

    In addition, the sentence mentioned is out of context. As I keep saying, seeing one short sentence by itself is not enough.

    Here is a sentence that works for me:

    "As most know the server crashed a while back and most information was lost."

    But if you are saying it is less correct with the words "of the" added, I think you're wrong:

    "As most know, the server crashed a while back and most of the information [on our site/server/etc.] was lost."

    Gaer
     
    Top