most intellectually inclined people

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
This is where most intellectually inclined people have the greatest difficulty.
(Radical Self-Forgiveness; C. Tipping)

Would you be so kind as to tell me whether it is possible to read it in either of the two following ways:

1) This is where most intellectually inclined people have the greatest difficulty.
2) This is where most intellectually inclined people have the greatest difficulty.

Thanks.

• grassy

Polish
    I think it means "a majority of intellectually inclined people". If it were the superlative form of "intellectually inclined", I'd expect it to be "the most".

boozer

Bulgarian
    I think that, grammatically, it has the potential to express both meanings, but I agree with Grassy that it probably means 'the majority of intellectually inclined people'.

wandle

English - British
    This is where most intellectually inclined people have the greatest difficulty.
    If the author had intended the first meaning, he would probably have said 'where people who are most intellectually inclined have the greatest difficulty', or a variant of that.

Another point is this: 'intellectually inclined people' presumably means not simply those who are above average intelligence, but a subset of that group. They are a section of a minority. If you then restrict it only to those most intellectually inclined, you reduce the target group to rather small dimensions. It is more likely that the author intends the largest group that the sense can bear.

Last edited:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The book continues "They want proof before they believe anything."

The intellectually inclined require proof.

The meaning is
    This is where most of {those people who are intellectually inclined} have the greatest difficulty.

< Previous | Next >