most notably

LQZ

Mandarin
The Inn was home to many important barristers and politicians, most notably Francis Bacon, and counted Elizabeth herself as a patron.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray's_Inn

Dear all,

I am confused about "most notably", by a google search, I have found it is a common phrase to specify an important or typical example of something that you are talking about. But I am curious about its part of speech; most is the first adverb, notably is the second; my question is what "most notably" (two adverbs) is modifying? Thanks in advance.

LQZ

• Cypherpunk

US, English
    This is an interesting question. I would say that, in general, most notably will emphasize the example that follows, while referring back to whichever nouns have just been listed, and it calls attention to one or more of the most famous or well-known example(s). So, in the sentence you've quoted, most notably refers to Francis Bacon, and it draws attention to the fact that he was a barrister or politician.

Bigote Blanco

This is an interesting question. I would say that, in general, most notably will emphasize the example that follows, while referring back to whichever nouns have just been listed, and it calls attention to one or more of the most famous or well-known example(s). So, in the sentence you've quoted, most notably refers to Francis Bacon, and it draws attention to the fact that he was a barrister or politician.:tick:

tphuong122002

Vietnamese Vietnam
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray's_Inn

Dear all,

I am confused about "most notably", by a google search, I have found it is a common phrase to specify an important or typical example of something that you are talking about. But I am curious about its part of speech; most is the first adverb, notably is the second; my question is what "most notably" (two adverbs) is modifying? Thanks in advance.

LQZ
    I think that "most notably Francis Bacon" modifies "many important barristers and politicians". It provides one example of the mentioned important barristers and politicians. This is a shorter way instead of saying "The Inn was home to many important barristers and politicians, of whom most notably was Francis Bacon, ........"

Bigote Blanco

The sentences can be rearranged and rewritten to help identify what is modified by "most notably"

The Inn was home to many important barristers and politicians,
    and counted Elizabeth herself as a patron. (no modification, no Francis)

The Inn was home to many important barristers and politicians, and counted Francis Bacon and Elizabeth herself as a patron. (Francis, no modification)

The Inn was home to Francis Bacon, and most notably counted Elizabeth herself as a patron.

The Inn was home to Francis Bacon and Elizabeth herself as patrons, but most notably many important barristers and politicans.

Cypherpunk was correct, it is Francis Bacon.:tick:

In the third sentence above, it is Elizabeth.

In the last sentence above, it is the barristers and politicans.

Bigote

LQZ

Mandarin
    :DThank you so much, but I am still confused. :eek:

To my way of thinking, "most notably" is two adverbs that can't modify a noun (=Francis Bacon).

Last edited:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    "Most notably" modifies the verb "was [home]".

The Inn was home to many people; what it did most notably was be home to Francis Bacon.

Bigote Blanco

"Most notably" modifies the verb "was [home]".

The Inn was home to many people; what it did most notably was be home to Francis Bacon.

Cagey,

With all due respect, and solely as good discussion of this interesting sentence:

I continue to read the sentence as "Francis Bacon was the most noticable guest of the Inn, among the important barristers and politicians who stayed there.

The sentence can easily be rearranged to support your interpretation. But as written. I firmly stand by my reading.

Such as: The Inn was most noticable for...the many important...

I would like to see other opinions on this subject/sentence.

Bigote:)

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I agree with your reading / interpretation.

I was trying to explain the adverbial form 'notably', so re-wrote the sentence to indicate how it was modifying the verb. My revision is a clumsy grammatical illustration, not an exact replication of the original, nor an attempt to improve it.

< Previous | Next >