Most of the confidences were unsought-frequently I have ....

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
In consequence, I'm inclined to reserve all judgments, a habit that has opened up many curious natures to me and also made me the victim of not a few veteran bores. The abnormal mind is quick to detect and attach itself to this quality when it appears in a normal person, and so it came about that in college I was unjustly accused of being a politician, because I was privy to the secret griefs of wild, unknown men. Most of the confidences were unsought-frequently I have feigned sleep, preoccupation, or a hostile levity when I realized by some unmistakable sign that an intimate revelation was quivering on the horizon; for the intimate revelations of young men, or at least the terms in which they express them, are usually plagiaristic and marred by obvious suppressions.
Source: The Great Gatsby http://www.publicbookshelf.com/ficti...er-vulnerable

Note to moderators: sorry if I have put more than four lines. I did it because the lines are so closely related to each other.

Hello my friends,

I know the meanings of each word in the blue written part but I can't understand it as a whole.
Would you please be nice enough to paraphrase it to me?

Many thanks.

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    Carraway (the narrator of The Great Gatsby) says two things here:

1. Most times that people confided in him, told him personal things that should be kept private, he wasn't looking for that sort of information.

2. Sometimes he pretended to be asleep, to be very busy, or to joke with people in a hostile way to prevent them from telling him confidences.

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    Egmont, I don't know how to thank you. Now it's clear.
    Thanks so much I completely understood it.

< Previous | Next >