most pleasing and welcoming

RafaelX

Polish
Hello! I would like to get some advice on one more thing from "Mister Max" novel:

So that when he conceived the dream of having a theatrical company of his own, he resolved immediately to persuade them to come to his “most pleasing and welcoming country, with its most lovely landscapes.” He hoped they would be willing to help him undertake his “proud hope.” He was looking forward “most blissfully” to the honor of welcoming the Starlings into his “most humble palace.”
(that "he" is the Maharajah)

I've often heard "most" used in such a way, but I'm not sure how to interpret it here...

A - does the Maharajah really claim that his country is the most pleasing and welcoming country (of all),
B - does he only want to emphasise that it's a very pleasing and welcoming country = he's advertising it to them

?

And what about most blissfully and most humble palace ? I know that saying it like that is a way of being polite, but I would like to learn what other words could one use in order to express it - could anybody provide some alternatives (without using "most") for those two expressions?

All Best,
Rafael

• anthox

English - Northeast US
    Your second interpretation (B) is correct. Effectively, "most" is acting as a synonym for "very" here. So, he could likewise have said "very blissfully" and "very humble palace." The usage of "most" in this way marks a formal register.

< Previous | Next >