Most, we suspect, don't need those abilities

• dharasty

American English
    The speaker believes that "most [people] don't need those abilities"... but this speaker is not sure and merely suspects this is true. (And is using the "royal we".)

To be more sure, however, I think we need more context. Can you provide a few sentences before this fragment, and/or cite your source?

szita1

Hungarian
    Thanks a lot, I see now.

"Most, we suspect, don't need those abilities, and given that
    their their influence touches and compromises not just this car
    but every model in that range, you'd be surprised if the Renegade
    become an overnight success."

I still have a problem with the "touches and compromises", too.
    As far as I understand it says if those abilities appears in other cars in the same
    category, the Renegade won't be a success, but it doesn't make sense.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    I think that's exactly what it means. I don't know what abilities these are, but apparently putting them into a car makes it worse in some other ways. (For example, four-wheel or all-wheel drive typically adds weight, increases both initial and maintenance cost, and increases fuel consumption.) In this case, it sounds as though designing one model of the Jeep Renegade (this is about the Jeep, right? Why not tell us?) to include those capabilities required compromises in other Renegade models as well. Those compromises make the other Renegade models less attractive to buyers and may prevent it from becoming an overnight (quick) success.

... but this speaker is not sure and merely suspects this is true. (And is using the "royal we".) ...
    Actually, it's the "editorial we." It's often used by journalists writing in the name of their publication - typically in editorials, but not only there.

< Previous | Next >