Mother of someone of us

< Previous | Next >

Dear life

India- Bengali
Hello!
- Who made the cookies?
-Mother of someone of us must have made them. None of us can cook.

Is the above expression natural to mean that someone's mother has made them( we friends don't know whose mother has, so we tell the questioner that some friend's mother has made them; & the friend is one of us/ among us)?

Hope I have myself clear.
Could you please help?

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Dear Life. No, that doesn't sound very clear or natural. "One of our mothers must have made them" or "Somebody's mother must have made them" -- these remarks sound much clearer and more natural to me.

owlman5

English-US
    It wouldn't clarify that, Dear life. But if a group of kids is gathered in one place and one of the kids makes a remark about whose mother must have made the cookies, that kid would likely say "Somebody's mom/mother must have made them". The kid probably wouldn't choose "One of our mothers must have made them."

That's my notion about what kids in the United States would probably say. It has been a few years since I was a kid, but I have a pretty good idea of what kids in the U.S. would be more likely to say. "One of our mothers" is closer to your original idea, but it doesn't sound as natural or likely to me as the other version does.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >