Motivation and Personality and Soft Skill Development

< Previous | Next >

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
Under the sponsorship of the Rotary Club of Calicut, a two-day workshop on Motivation and Personality and Soft Skill Development was held on 19th and 20th October for the tenth standard students of a Government High School.

The workshop was actually on

Motivation

Personality Development and

Soft skill development

But doesn’t the above sentence give you feel that it was on the DEVELOPMENT ALL THE THREE? If it does, how should I rephrase it?

• Andygc

British English
    When we write lists we don't normally repeat 'and', but the original indicates
    Motivation
    Personality and
    Soft Skill Development

If we want to list compound items we use a comma to make the separation clear:
    " ..... Motivation, and Personality and Soft Skill Development ....."

Edit. Copyright's suggestion suggests that he misread the question in the same way as I did initially. ;)

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
    One thought: "... a two-day workshop on Motivation, Personality and Soft Skills Development was held ..."
    Copyright, thanks.

“Motivation” is one aspect of the workshop ; Personality & Soft Skill development is another. Shouldn’t there be an “AND” between the two?

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
    When we write lists we don't normally repeat 'and', but the original indicates
    Motivation
    Personality and
    Soft Skill Development

If we want to list compound items we use a comma to make the separation clear:
    " ..... Motivation, and Personality and Soft Skill Development ....."

Edit. Copyright's suggestion suggests that he misread the question in the same way as I did initially. ;)
    Thank you, AndyG. But I'm not used to a comma (,) before "and". How we normally write is A, B, C and D and NOT A, B, C, and D

steve_c

English - Midlands
    Comma can be used to disambuguate, i.e., when items are to be understood together, not individually, e.g., "The courses offered were spaghetti, and fish and chips."

goldencypress

India - Malayalam
    Comma can be used to disambuguate, i.e., when items are to be understood together, not individually, e.g., "The courses offered were spaghetti, and fish and chips."
    Thank you, Steve. That answers my question convincingly. Thanks again. Is this what is known as "Oxford comma"?

steve_c

English - Midlands
    It seems so :) It reminds me of an old joke about how to say the word "and" five times in a row:
    In the phrase "fish and chips" there should be no hyphens between "fish" and "and" and "and" and "chips".​

< Previous | Next >