motivation

< Previous | Next >

moguwai007

Japanese
For a reply to a comment from a customer, which sentence is grammatically correct and natural?

Thank you very much for posting the review.
1) Your comment is a motivation for our staff.
2) Your comment is a motivator for our staff.
3) Your comment motivates our staff.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    It's difficult to say without more information. Was it a favorable or unfavorable comment? Using other words, how do you expect your staff to react to it?

moguwai007

Japanese
    @Cagey
    Thank you for replying.
    I would like to use one of those sentences for a reply to a good review from a customer.
    Here is what I intend to express with other words.
    Your good comment makes our staff members proud of what they do and even encourage them to worker harder.
    In that case, which one of the sentences is grammatically correct and natural?

Last edited:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I would use this sentence.
    Your comment motivates our staff.
    However, you need to include what it motivates your staff to do. The verb 'motivate' does not necessarily imply a positive outcome. People may also be motivated to misbehave, so you need to specify.

Borrowing from your description, you might say: Your comment motivates our staff to work even harder.

Personally, I like your description better:
    Your favorable comment makes our staff members proud of what they do and even encourages them to worker harder.

(We wouldn't say 'good comment'. We might say "favorable comment", or you could omit the adjective and say simply "Your comment makes our staff....")​

< Previous | Next >