mottled or speckled

< Previous | Next >

Atna

Español - Argentina
Hello. Could anyboby tell me the difference between mottled and speckled? I have to translate the pair "mottled or speckled" concerning the color of a rodent. I found the two adjectives used differently with dogs, for example. Could it be "moteado" for "mottled" and "con manchas" for "speckled"? Thank you.

• BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    From images I have reviewed, it appears to me that animals that are speckled have a pattern, e.g. the jaguar, giraffe, leopard, et al.,
    whereas mottling covers small areas of the skin and not forming a routine pattern. Furthermore, speckling seems to be specific to
    each group of animals. Mottling is not.

Last edited:

Atna

Español - Argentina
    Thank you, BLUEGAZE. Then, I think I'm right when rendering speckled as "con manchas" in Spanish. Anyway, it's a rather difficult pair.

auno trovago

I don't know what the words "really" mean but when I use them, "speckled" means having specks (manchas) whereas "mottled" means the color differentiation isn't clearly delineated. "A mottled brown tablecloth" would be brown but not all the same hue and maybe not all brown.

Atna

Español - Argentina
    I've just got the image of what the writer is describing. There are no mottles or speckles in the sense of spots or dots. The color is marbled or streaky. I've translated the pair as "jaspeado o veteado". "Jaspeado" is related to "jaspe" in Spanish or "jasper" in English, and I've found that "jasper" means ""spotted or speckled stone". Thank you all.

Rodal

Banned
    Castellano (Chile)
    Concuerdo con Atna, debiera ser jaspeado para mottled, sin embargo speckled no se refiere a manchas sino que a puntos diminutos como specks (partículas).

< Previous | Next >