mou eleipses poli

miyax

spanish, Spain
Can anyone tell me what the verb in the sentence means? If it is something like "I miss you", does the sentence sou elipso poli make any sense in Greek? S´evharistó :)

• modus.irrealis

English, Canada
    You got the meaning of the verb right, but the tense wrong. It's "I missed you." But see this post as well.

does the sentence sou elipso poli make any sense in Greek?
    The only problem is you added the present tense ending, so it doesn't make sense because of that. But σου έλειψα (sou elipsa) would mean "you missed me."

skatoulitsa

Greek, Greece
    Can anyone tell me what the verb in the sentence means? If it is something like "I miss you"...
    Μου έλειψες = I missed you
    Μου λείπεις = I miss you
    Σου έλειψα = You missed me
    Σου λείπω = You miss me

...does the sentence sou elipso poli make any sense in Greek? S´evharistó :)
    I think that you are maybe confusing the subject of the sentence. In the english expression, "I" is the subject, but in the greek expression "you" is the subject. It is basically equivalent to "you are missing to me".

It works in exactly the same way as the spanish "me faltas", where "tú" is the subject.

miyax

spanish, Spain
    thanks! but I did not confuse the subject, I just mixed tenses as ModusIrrealis said! :) My knowledge of aoristo is very scarce ;) that´s why. Now everything is bright & clear to me! thanks

ics

greek/greece
    Hi miyax! :)
    The aoristos of λείπω:

εγώ έλειψα
    εσύ έλειψες
    αυτός/αυτή έλειψε
    εμείς λείψαμε
    εσείς λείψατε
    αυτοί έλειψαν

ego elipsa
    esy elipses
    aftos-afth elipse
    emis lipsame
    esis lipsate
    aftoi elipsan

ireney

Modistra
    Greek Greece Mod of Greek, CC and CD
    Oh monsier Aquilone I hadn't seen your post. Miyax is right and you are right in a way. As Miyax already mentioned, the English, Spanish and any oher language that uses the word ellipsis/elipsis got it from the ancient Greek έλλειψις (can't do breathing marks on this PC).

'Ελλειψις (έλλειψη in modern Greek) and modern Greek λείπω both come from the ancient Greek λείπω, λείπειν (1st person sing Present and infinitive respectively) .
    Ellipsis comes from En (meaning in, into usually) + "leipsis" (from Leipein, if I am not mistaken never encountered by itself, without a preposition)

< Previous | Next >