mourning/bereavement

leonestdebil

Fr & NL
hello!
i'd just like to know if there's any difference between those two words (mourning/bereavement). is there one that's AmE and one BrE? or just "mourning" being more commomly used?
thanks in advance
L.

• Benjy

English - English
    mourning is liek a state of unhappiness (not the most elegant of definitions but meh..) whereas you can only be in a state of bereavement if you have been bereft of something (something has been taken away, someone dies usually :s)

does that help you?

leonestdebil

Fr & NL
    alright, just let me get this straight. mourning would be more general than bereavement then... i thought they were actual synonyms for "le deuil" (as i know you speak french)

thanks so much for your quick reply by the way (how many hours a day do you spend on that forum?!)
    L.

Benjy

English - English
    hmmmmmmm... in the end they both pretty much mean le deuil. mourning grief sorrow etc. can all be lumped together really. to breave someone of something is only really evoked when someone dies, and mourning is the same. you only really mourn losses. i can't really think of another instance where the word world be appropriate.

ps i spend way to much time on here. but when you have only two hours of lectures a day you have a lot of free time + i'm studying french so this is "studying" for me ;)

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    leonestdebil said:
    hello!
    i'd just like to know if there's any difference between those two words (mourning/bereavement). is there one that's AmE and one BrE? or just "mourning" being more commomly used?
    thanks in advance
    L.
    Hello leonestdebil;

'Mourning' is a synonym of 'bereavement'
    bereavement is more on the "personal" side..."My husband died so I am now bereaved"...
    It is not used very often...mourning is more common..
    A good synonym is "sorrow"
    te gato;)