Mourning or withdrawn

< Previous | Next >

Golle_Gewre

kurdish

Which is correct?

Since the death of her husband Victoria has been very .......; she rarely comes out of her house and doesnt speak much to anybody.

a)mourning
b)backward
c)widowed
d)withdrawn
e)idle

KPDS examination in turkey

• JamesM

Hello, Golle_Gewre, and welcome to the forum.

One of our rules here is that when a member posts a multiple-choice question, he or she must give an answer and a reason for that answer. It often helps us understand the source of the confusion.

Please let us know which one you would choose and why. Then we can respond.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    Thanks.. My favorite answer is mournful but i have no idea about explanation
    Mournful is not one of your original choices. Mourning was one, but that does not work grammatically.

a)mourning This doesn not work. You might say mournful, but I don't think it's the best answer.
    b)backward This usually means shy, or possibly stupid. It does not fit here.

c)widowed She is obviously widowed, but one is either widowed or not. She cannot be "very widowed" so this does not work.
    d)withdrawn This is my choice. She has been withdrawn, meaning that she doesn't seem to want to see anyone. The rest of the sentence reinforces this.
    e)idle This also works in the sentence, but withdrawn fits much better.

boozer

Bulgarian
    The only thing that makes d) the right answer is logic. Indeed, when people mourn, they become withdrawn. Most people. Others, however, might become idle when they lose their spouse.

How was the task formulated - choose the best answer or choose the correct answer. If the latter, then it is not a fair task. If the former, it cannot be an objective one. Either way, I do not like this exercise. :)

George French

English - UK
    Withdrawn is the right word. It reflects, in some part, how Queen Victoria behaved when Prince Albert died in 1861...

GF..

His death affected her heavily and there were lots of consequences .......

George French

English - UK
    The only thing that makes d) the right answer is logic. Indeed, when people mourn, they become withdrawn. Most people. Others, however, might become idle when they lose their spouse.
    How was the task formulated - choose the best answer or choose the correct answer. If the latter, then it is not a fair task. If the former, it cannot be an objective one. Either way, I do not like this exercise.
    The test is for Turkish civil servants http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KPDS "The Foreign Language Examination for Civil Servants ) is an English language proficiency test, mostly taken by civil servants and military personnel. It is administered by ÖSYM in Turkey in order to evaluate the foreign-language skills, especially of governmental employees."

I would expect them to be able to answer this correclty... withdrawn only, fits with "she rarely comes out of her house and doesnt speak much to anybody." None of the 4 others does...

GF..

It only requires reasonable knowledge of English and some logical thinking.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KPDS "is an English language proficiency test, mostly taken by civil servants and military personnel. It is administered by ÖSYM in Turkey"

Andygc

British English
    The only thing that makes d) the right answer is logic.
    If you take the question as a whole - both parts - then it is a question of understanding the vocabulary, not a matter of logic. There is no causal association between idle and she rarely comes out of her house and doesn't speak much to anybody. Withdrawn is the only choice that provides a causal link. It is a perfectly fair task, if it is intended to test vocabulary and comprehension.

<edit> I see George French and I were thinking much the same thing at the same time.

< Previous | Next >