Hi everyone,
could you please tell me what is the meaning of the
phrase "move the ball around"? The navigator asks the pilot to
"move the ball around". Here is the whole sentence:

"Ask him to move the ball
around .... Tell him to come
in low, check the red cell and
come on in."
It seems to me that the phrase is rather common, but I cannot find the meaning, no matter how hard I try. Maybe he wants to say "tell him to make a turn" or something?
Thanks in advance!

• Full Tilt Boogie

British English
    Hi everyone,
    could you please tell me what is the meaning of the
    phrase "move the ball around"? The navigator asks the pilot to
    "move the ball around". Here is the whole sentence:

"Ask him to move the ball
    around .... Tell him to come
    in low, check the red cell and
    come on in."
    It seems to me that the phrase is rather common, but I cannot find the meaning, no matter how hard I try. Maybe he wants to say "tell him to make a turn" or something?
    Thanks in advance!
    I suggest this might have two allusions:

1. Sporting: to 'move the ball around a bit' is a term used in both Rugby and Cricket to suggest a change in tactics to improve your side's perhaps stale endeavours - i.e. we need to change the 'game plan' (AmE) if we are to achieve better results, as currently we're not doing very very.

2. Aeronautical: a number of the key instruments on an aeroplane's 'dashboard' (control panel) are spheres floating in liquid which rectify themselves, regardless of what the pilot is doing. So, to 'move the ball around a bit' might refer to the pilot being in too deep a descent, or not being level enough with the horizon and therefore needing to move the plane so that his [spheres/ball] instruments move around a bit.

< Previous | Next >