move v. displace v. send v. transfer [To move data]

< Previous | Next >

hhtt

Turkish
"Be very careful with moving data between this computer and another device."

I would like to learn that which of the followings would have the same meanings as the original has?

1) "Be very careful with displacing data between this computer and another device."

2) "Be very careful with sending data between this computer and another device."

3) "Be very careful with transfering data between this computer and another device."

Source: An HTML and computer securIty question

Thank you.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    1) "Be very careful with displacing data between this computer and another device."
    "Be very careful with when moving data between this computer and another device."

2) "Be very careful when sending data from this computer to another device."

3) "Be very careful when transfering data from this computer to another device."

hhtt

Turkish
    First thank you for the answer.

"Be very careful with when moving data between this computer and another device."
    2) "Be very careful when sending data from this computer to another device."
    3) "Be very careful when transfering data from this computer to another device."
    From wordweb, move: "Cause to move or shift into a new position or place, both in a concrete and in an abstract sense" and displace is the only synonym of this meaning. I think this meaning fits with this sentence so would you like to explaing that why you don't see displace proper to use in this sentence?

Thank you.

hhtt

Turkish

Is there any grammatical explanation, technical term or rule etc. about why with is incrorrect and with has to be replaced by when.
    Is this situation like that "with what speed" is incorrect but "at what speed" is correct which is discussed in the past.
    P.S I always trust the answers, especially from yours, do not think that I do not trust. I am just interest in reasons.
    Thank you

Last edited:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The use of displace is wrong in your example. Here is a correct use of "displace":

"A new species of fox was introduced to the area and the new species displaced the old species."

"I filled a bowl completely with water and then I put a big stone into it. The water that the stone displaced spilled out of the bowl."

To displace = to take the place of something that was there before (usually by some sort of force or pressure.)

hhtt

Turkish
    The use of displace is wrong in your example. Here is a correct use of "displace":

"A new species of fox was introduced to the area and the new species displaced the old species."

"I filled a bowl completely with water and then I put a big stone into it. The water that the stone displaced spilled out of the bowl."

To displace = to take the place of something that was there before (usually by some sort of force or pressure.)
    Sorry for mispreparing my post #5 doing my writtings like yours by putting my writtings in the quotations belongs to you. I have changed it. Thanks for the examples on displace. I get its meaning well but I was asking for grammatic of when and with in the "be careful" part. Please see #5 again.

Thank you.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Is there any grammatical explanation, technical term or rule etc. about why with is incorrect and with has to be replaced by when.
    Is this situation like that "with what speed" is incorrect but "at what speed" is correct which is discussed in the past.
    With is not wrong but to my ear when is better.

Compare
    "Be careful when moving data." - "Be careful at the time that you are moving data."
    "Be careful {with moving data.}" - (i) "Be careful with the process of moving data."
    "Be careful with {moving data.}" - (ii) "Be careful with data that is in motion."

hhtt

Turkish
    With is not wrong but to my ear when is better.

Compare
    "Be careful when moving data." - "Be careful at the time that you are moving data."
    "Be careful {with moving data.}" - (i) "Be careful with the process of moving data."
    "Be careful with {moving data.}" - (ii) "Be careful with data that is in motion."
    Does this show that the meaning of the original is a little obscure because there is two possibility.

Thank you.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    the meaning of the original is a little ambiguous because there is two possibility.
    Yes (ii) can also be expressed as "Be careful with data that is moving around/that is changing." In other contexts, the ambiguity may be even more marked.

< Previous | Next >