mow their own lawn

< Previous | Next >

luko010

Czech
Hi guys,

Please, what means "mow their own lawn" in the paragraph below? I'm thinking if it means just cutting grass, or if it means something about health, for example maintaining their own health, some sort of figurative meaning.

Thank you :)

"As I made my way from Fit2Fat2Fit, daily stories from my Twitter feed and Facebook postings told other people’s stories. I was inspired by a man who readily admitted to falling off the nutritional wagon during a vacation, only to come back more committed and drop seven pounds in a single week. I found hope in the stories of followers who were able to keep up with their children, mow their own lawn, or start teaching their family how to eat and be healthy."

• Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    I don't know of any recurring metaphor like that,
    but here it seems to be used as an ad hoc figure, an example of healthy physical activity.

luko010

Czech
    I don't know of any recurring metaphor like that,
    but here it seems to be used as an ad hoc figure, an example of healthy physical activity.
    Thank you, and please, what means "ad hoc figure"? meaning only for this instance?"

George French

English - UK
    I found hope in the stories of followers who were able to keep up with their children, mow their own lawn, or start teaching their family how to eat and be healthy.
    Mowing one's own lawn requires some physical effort and some level of fitness, unless you have an expensive sit on mower.

GF..

One has to man-handle a (motorised) grass-mower unless you are mowing a bowling-green and you have easy access to the green.

I also state that mowing the lawn is good for me : physically.
    Oops, I am "foruming", not mowing my own lawn!!!! Mind you my grass is not really a lawn: it is a wilderness! :D

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    what means "ad hoc figure"? meaning only for this instance?
    Pardon my delay in answering. Something about my "spam filter" that I don't understand.
    The Wordreference dictionary defines "ad hoc" like this:
    • for a particular purpose only; lacking generality or justification: an ad hoc decision, an ad hoc committee
    By "figure" I meant "figure of speech". That speaker might have been using "mow their own lawn" as a metaphor for self-sufficiency,
    but it was an original creation by that speaker, not a traditional saying.

George French

English - UK
    Pardon my delay in answering. Something about my "spam filter" that I don't understand.
    The Wordreference dictionary defines "ad hoc" like this:

By "figure" I meant "figure of speech". That speaker might have been using "mow their own lawn" as a metaphor for self-sufficiency,
    but it was an original creation by that speaker, not a traditional saying.
    This is not a figure of speech... It is nothing more than statement they now had the energy/were fit enough to mow a lawn. (Note that mowing a lawn requires considerable effort).

GF..

It is certainly not a metaphor for self sufficiency...... I moved recently to a house with a large lawn. My fitness level has gone up quite a bit just from mowing this lawn/wilderness.

< Previous | Next >