Moyan has won the Nobel Prize in Literature.

fh3579

Chinese
I'm making a sentence using attributive clause:
Moyan has won the Nobel Prize in Literature, which makes every Chinese people proud and excited.
Do you think the present perfect speech used here correct?

• Copyright

American English
    It's fine for me. Note that it's Mo Yan in English, and you want one of these two constructions:

Mo Yan has won the Nobel Prize in Literature, which makes (all) Chinese people proud and excited.
    Mo Yan has won the Nobel Prize in Literature, which makes every Chinese person proud and excited.

Keep in mind that neither statement is going to be true.

Copyright

American English
    Not every single person in China is going to be proud and excited. With over a billion people, there will be many who hold other views or who don't even know Mo Yan.

Herbivore

English (Canadian)
    Copyright means that there are certainly at least a few Chinese people who either don't care or who aren't happy about it—maybe they're jealous or just think he's a bad writer.

Étoile du Nord

English - Canada
    Would this work?

'Mo Yan has won the Nobel Prize in Literature, which is a great source of pride and excitement for many Chinese people.'

Copyright

American English
    Would this work?

'Mo Yan has won the Nobel Prize in Literature, which is a great source of pride and excitement for many Chinese people.'
    Keeping close to the original, I think this is pretty inclusive without sounding like everyone is involved:

Mo Yan has won the Nobel Prize in Literature, which is a source of pride and excitement for Chinese people.

Étoile du Nord

English - Canada
    @ Copyright - Yes, I think this is an improvement and closer to the original.
    'Mo Yan has won the Nobel Prize in Literature, which is a source of pride and excitement for Chinese people.'

< Previous | Next >