MSA/All dialects: All aboard!

Rmacaw

English انجليزية
Hi all,

Is there a common MSA or dialect expression equivalent of "All aboard!" said as a warning to passengers when a boat, train or bus is about to depart?

e.g. The ship was about to put to sea. They called "All aboard! All ashore who is going ashore!"

My attempt:
كانت السفينة تكاد تُبحِر. نادوا "الجميع على المتن! اِنزل مَن يريد أن يبقىِ على الشاطئ" ١

Thanks

• كانت السفينة تكاد تُبحِر. نادوا "الجميع على المتن! اِنزل مَن يريد أن يبقىِ على الشاطئ"
    Technically your sentence is correct, however there are a couple of things to be underlined
    - كانت السفينة تكاد أن تُبحِر
    - فنُودِيَ instead of نادوا
    - الجميع على المتن :tick: couldn't find better formula, you can also say (الجميع على متن المركب(ة in way to include all types of transportation
    - اِنزل مَن يريد أن يبقىِ على الشاطئ" :cross: Sorry but according to this post thread a literal translation can't do the job ^, thus I suggest
    نداء الى الجميع على المتن سنرفع المراسي / أو/ إنّنا بصدَدِ الإقلاع

Last edited:

sultan159

Arabic-KSA
    Hi

In Arabic we would say (على وشك أن) rather than (كاد).
    about to= على وشك أن
    almost = كاد

explanation:
    - If something is going to happen (soon). examples:
    الطائرة على وشك أن تقلع
    السفينة على وشك أن تبحر
    - If someone is going to do something (soon). example"
    انا على وشك أن اتزوج

put to sea means in Arabic:
    the future and present = تبحر

the past = أبحرت أو ابحر

All aboard means in Arabic: جميع من على متن(سفينة /طائرة /قطار /....)
    if you use (All aboard) to refer to passengers on Ship, you must write (سفينة) after (متن).

(All ashore who is going ashore) has a different translation in Arabic:
    جميع المسافرين , جميع المغادرين
    you can choose what you prefer, all of them are
    interchangeable.

So, the correct sentence is :
    كانت السفينة على وشك أن تبحر, نادوا جميع من على متن السفينة وجميع المغادرين

I hope this help you.

شكرا
    Technically your sentence is correct, however there are a couple of things to be underlined
    - كانت السفينة تكاد أن تُبحِر
    - فنُودِيَ instead of نادوا
    - الجميع على المتن :tick: couldn't find better formula, you can also say (الجميع على متن المركب(ة in way to include all types of transportation
    - اِنزل مَن يريد أن يبقىِ على الشاطئ" :cross: Sorry but according to this post thread a literal translation can't do the job ^, thus I suggest
    نداء الى الجميع على المتن سنرفع المراسي / أو/ إنّنا بصدَدِ الإقلاع
    Hi Stinky120

I appreciate your help but your correction has some mistake,

you cant say كانت and تكاد in the same sentence, you have a lot of alternative ways.
    كانت السفينة على وشك أن تبحر
    السفينة على وشك الأبحار
    كادت السفينة أن تبحر

the meaning of فنُودِيَ is single and it refer to one person or specific person.
    فنُودِيَ is becoming rare word and tend to be unused.

we dont say (الجميع على المتن). you can say (الجميع على متن) without (ال) as your suggestion. or you can say (الجميع, جميع من على متن, الجميع على متن)
    نداء الى جميع من على متن السفينة سنرفع المراسي او إننا بصدد الإبحار.

Ship, boat ...etc. or any thing carrying people across sea, you must say (as a verb : تبحر . as A noun: ابحار الإبحار)
    Plane, helicopter ...etc. or any thing leave the land to the air (from ground to air/ from down to up), you must use ( as a verb: تقلع . as a noun: إقلاع الإقلاع)

شكرا لك

Last edited by a moderator:
    @sultan159
    I appreciate your explanation thanks:),
    However if I accommodate the translation of the expression "All ashore who is going ashore!" to something like
    فليبق من يبقى وليغادر من يغادر
    Where the letter ل here is : لام الأمر أو لام الطلب، هي من الأحرف الجازمة للفعل.
    فائدة: حركة لام الأمر (الطلب)
    Would it be acceptable?!

you cant say كانت and تكاد in the same sentence, you have a lot of alternative ways.
    كانت السفينة على وشك أن تبحر
    السفينة على وشك الأبحار
    كادت السفينة أن تبحر
    You can also say
    بينما كانت السفينة على وشك الأبحار (it sounds more natural for me this way^)
    the meaning of فنُودِيَ is single and it refer to one person or specific person.
    فنُودِيَ is becoming rare word and tend to be unused.
    I don't think فنُودِيَ is archaic, it's the verb نادى run in the impersonal mode, and it refers to an undetermined singular subject (which is the whole point), and that subject /or doer - most likely - belongs to the stuff or the team operating the vehicle, if he isn't the captain himself. :D

Last edited:

sultan159

Arabic-KSA
    However if I accommodate the translation of the expression "All ashore who is going ashore!" to something like
    فليبق من يبقى وليغادر من يغادر
    you can say that.

Where the letter ل here is : لام الأمر أو لام الطلب، هي من الأحرف الجازمة للفعل.
    فائدة: حركة لام الأمر (الطلب)
    Would it be correct?!
    no.
    there are a lot of (ل او لام) types in Arabic and most of them are used in Quran or Classical Arabic (العربية الفصحى).
    It is becoming uncommon when you speak to people.
    if you are interested in Quran and Hadith (الحديث) and you have a desire to learn them, I think you should learn them.

لام الامر او ل الامر:
    I am explaining it in brief.

Something/Someone obligates you to do (you must do it)
    ex:
    .لتذهب انت وليبقى احمد
    Here is Someone obligated you to go and for احمد to stay. (you must do it)

you can change it to (اذهب انت وابقى يا أحمد). the meaning is still same

You can also say
    بينما كانت السفينة على وشك الأبحار (this way it sounds more natural for me ^)
    yes, I agree, your sentence is more appropriate than my sentence.

I don't think فنُودِيَ is archaic, it's put in the impersonal form, and it refers to an undetermined singular subject (which is the point), and that subject/ doer - most likely - belongs to the stuff or the team operating the vehicle, if he isn't the captain himself. :D
    Allah says : (لَمَّا أَتَاهَا نُودِيَ مِن شَاطِئِ الْوَادِ الْأَيْمَنِ فِي الْبُقْعَةِ الْمُبَارَكَةِ مِنَ الشَّجَرَةِ أَن يَا مُوسَىٰ إِنِّي أَنَا اللَّهُ رَبُّ الْعَالَمِينَ)
    "the meaning of نُودِيَ is single and it refer to one person or specific person" "Mouse did not know who speaked to him"

تراجم معاني القرآن الكريم | Holy Quran meanings translations

for your explanation I agree with you. it may refer to undetermined singular or not.

prophet Muhammad said: إذا كنتم في المسجد فنودي بالصلاة فلا يخرج أحدكم حتى يصلي(...الى بقية الحديث)

prophet Muhammad talk to people if you are in the Mosque and you heard اذان , you should not leave the Mosque before doing prayer.

and I am so sorry to keep you waiting my reply

شكرا جزيلا

if you are interested in Quran and Hadith (الحديث) and you have a desire to learn them, I think you should learn them.
    I'll take your advice in consideration! it is always good to see and to know all the aspects of what a given language may offer.
    Allah says : (لَمَّا أَتَاهَا نُودِيَ مِن شَاطِئِ الْوَادِ الْأَيْمَنِ فِي الْبُقْعَةِ الْمُبَارَكَةِ مِنَ الشَّجَرَةِ أَن يَا مُوسَىٰ إِنِّي أَنَا اللَّهُ رَبُّ الْعَالَمِينَ)
    Unfortunatelly I don't have anough knowledges and competences to discuse this
    In the other hand for
    prophet Muhammad >saw<*** said: إذا كنتم في المسجد فنودي بالصلاة فلا يخرج أحدكم حتى يصلي(...الى بقية الحديث)
    [Sorry if I took the liberty to add saw,حتى نتجنّب كل الحساسيات ]
    I can deduce the meaning of the verb نودي here, it means the appeal to the prayer is guaranteed by a transmitting process, called echoing.
    When the Mu'adhin in a given area finishes the call, the other one, of the next area starts it over again, becoming sort of an echo to the previous call, and so on.

And this is exactly what happens onboard a ship - in a fictional situation -. The captain gives an order / instruction, the chef of the crew re-broadcasts it as an echo, and so on. The initial message, like so, is transmitted all the way down until reaching the subordinates.
    and I am so sorry to keep you waiting my reply
    Be at your ease my friend your help is precious, and I'm sorry to bother you again, Can we finally find a formula that satisfies the OP request?! ;)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >