MSA/All dialects: apply for a job

elroy

Imperfect Mod
US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
Hello!

How do you say "apply for a job" in your dialect or a dialect you know, and what is correct in MSA?

In Palestinian we say قَدَّم/بِقَدِّم لَشغل/لَوظيفة. It appears that in MSA, at least one acceptable phrase is تَقّدَّم/يَتَقَدَّم على وظيفة -- different verb, different preposition. I suspect قَدَّم/يُقَدِّم is not acceptable in MSA, as it's transitive (in Palestinian, I believe طلب is elided: it's also possible to say قَدَّم/بِقَدِّم طلب لَشغل/لَوظيفة). What about the preposition in MSA? Would تَقّدَّم/يَتَقَدَّم لوظيفة be acceptable?

Thanks!

• jack_1313

English - Australian
    As far as I know in MSA it's ل, i.e. يتقدم لوظيفة أو لمنصب (and perhaps إلى too, given that ل and إلى are often considered interchangeable). I don't recall ever seeing على in this regard.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    تقدم لـ is what I used intuitively, but then I did some Google searching and somehow concluded that على was definitely acceptable while لـ was possibly not. I must have done something wrong or misunderstood something, because I just ran some searches (in quotation marks) with التقديم following by each of the three prepositions and then each of عمل and وظيفة, and التقديم لوظيفة got the most results by far: over a million, compared to between about 8 thousand and about 29 thousand for the others.

Sun-Shine

Arabic (Egypt)
    I know it as يتقدم لـ وظيفة/عمل
    Do you mean يُقْدِم على (عمل) مثلًا? but its meaning is different.

Last edited:

jack_1313

English - Australian
    تقدم لـ is what I used intuitively, but then I did some Google searching and somehow concluded that على was definitely acceptable while لـ was possibly not. I must have done something wrong or misunderstood something, because I just ran some searches (in quotation marks) with التقديم following by each of the three prepositions and then each of عمل and وظيفة, and التقديم لوظيفة got the most results by far: over a million, compared to between about 8 thousand and about 29 thousand for the others.
    You mean التقدم لوظيفة and not التقديم لوظيفة, right? (As you said, بقدّم is the colloquial variant but doesn't make sense in Fusha per the rules of derivation.)

When it comes to Google, are you making sure that you're treating the number of results reported on the first few pages with a degree of skepticism? You usually need to click through the pages to get an idea of real number. For example, when I search for "التقدم لوظيفة", I get 1,200,000 results according to the first 13 pages, but upon landing on page 14, the number changes to 137 and the list ends. If I click the "repeat the search with the omitted results included" link, then I can get all the way up to page 34 before the number of results changes to 334 and the list ends.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    You mean التقدم لوظيفة and not التقديم لوظيفة, right?
    I can't remember if I messed up while searching or mistyped here. :D
    are you making sure that you're treating the number of results reported on the first few pages with a degree of skepticism?
    I'm aware of this issue, but I still think the numbers given on the first page are roughly indicative for comparison purposes.
    قدّم ع وظيفة in Syria
    It's interesting that you use ع and not لـَ!

By the way, in Palestinian it's also possible to say رمى/بِرمي طلب لـَ.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    I can't remember if I messed up while searching or mistyped here. :D
    As Sunshine remarked, it could be that يُقْدِم على got counted in the results you received, as the words are usually not vowelized and Google doesn't differentiate between yuqaddim and yuqdim.
    It's interesting that you use ع and not لـَ!
    We also use 3ala in Egypt: قَدِّم على وظيفة/شُغْلانة

For MSA, the expression I know is قَدَّم لِشَغْل وظيفة , and قَدَّم طلبًا لوظيفة/لشغل وظيفة. And there's also قدّم طلب عمل.

< Previous | Next >