MSc student of/in/at engineering

crustpurse

Italian
Hi all,
I'm an Italian MSc student, I want to find the best-fitting title for my actual position.

First of all, the unofficial translation of the title of my MSc degree is:
Master Degree in Computer Science and Engineering
The two major fields are Information Security and Cyber Security.

Question 1:
Since there is no official translation may I change it to something more friendly? Like for example "Master Degree in Cyber Security Engineering" or "Cyber Security Engineering".

Question 2:
Suppose that we have the correct title, in a business card, which could be the appropriate title?
My doubt is about the "Engineer" role:

"MSc Engineering Student in Cyber Security"
vs
"MSc Student in Cyber Security Engineering".
vs
"Student in Master of Science in Cyber Security Engineering"

Also, I'm a bit confused about the usage of in/at/of, because I always use "in" but a lot of my collegues use instead "of".

Am I miss something? :confused:

Thanks in advance

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    You are right, you should use "in" here.

Try looking at how other people describe themselves and use a similar style (look at a jobhunter or professional social network site and search for "student" and "engineer"). My personal choice would be "MSc Student in Cyber Security Engineering"

crustpurse

Italian
    Thanks for your reply.

You are right, you should use "in" here.
    Perfect.

Try looking at how other people describe themselves and use a similar style (look at a jobhunter or professional social network site and search for "student" and "engineer").
    After the conclusion it will be something like "Security Engineer", which actually is useless in my case :/

My personal choice would be "MSc Student in Cyber Security Engineering"
    Thanks for that

slej

Ireland / England English
    I'd keep Masters Degree in Computer Science and Engineering, as the title is well known, then specify expertise later. Whether you have the Masters or continue to be a student defines the use of some of your later suggestions.

Language Hound

American English
    Welcome to the Forum, Crustpurse!
    My response is from an American perspective.
    As a student, you do not have a title yet.
    You will have a title and a position once you are employed.
    I would say you are a student going for your Master's degree in Computer Science
    and Engineering, with an emphasis on Information Security and Cyber Security.

In the U.S. we do not normally mention our degrees on our business cards.
    We mention them on our resumés when looking for employment.
    Once we get a job, our job title (not our degree) goes on the business card.

crustpurse

Italian
    I'd keep Masters Degree in Computer Science and Engineering, as the title is well known, then specify expertise later.[\QUOTE]
    OK

slej said:
    Whether you have the Masters or continue to be a student defines the use of some of your later suggestions.
    I don't get it. I'm actually a student, and in less than one year I will graduate, what will this define?

Last edited:

crustpurse

Italian
    Welcome to the Forum, Crustpurse!
    My response is from an American perspective.
    As a student, you do not have a title yet.
    You will have a title and a position once you are employed.
    I would say you are a student going for your Master's degree in Computer Science
    and Engineering, with an emphasis on Information Security and Cyber Security.

In the U.S. we do not normally mention our degrees on our business cards.
    We mention them on our resumés when looking for employment.
    Once we get a job, our job title (not our degree) goes on the business card.
    OK, so I should avoid it completely on my business card? But in this case I will not say anything about "what I'm doing"

Language Hound

American English
    OK, so I should avoid it completely on my business card? But in this case I will not say anything about "what I'm doing"
    Cultural differences may be at work here.;)
    It might help if you tell us where you plan to use your business card (in which country).
    Again, from a U.S. perspective, educational degrees do not normally go on one's business card
    (the few exceptions, for example, being business cards for doctors, dentists, veterinarians, whose names are followed by MD, DDS, DVM).
    Once employed, the job title (Director of Sales, IT Manager, etc.) goes on the business card.
    Unless you are self-employed, it is the company you work for that supplies the business cards
    and decides what information, including title, goes on the card.

If you are self-employed, you would create and pay for your own business cards.
    At that point, you're free to put whatever information you want on them.

Normally, the name of the business, as well as the job title, give a pretty good indication
    of "what you're doing.":)

crustpurse

Italian
    Cultural differences may be at work here.;)
    It might help if you tell us where you plan to use your business card (in which country).
    Again, from a U.S. perspective, educational degrees do not normally go on one's business card
    (the few exceptions, for example, being business cards for doctors, dentists, veterinarians, whose names are followed by MD, DDS, DVM).
    Once employed, the job title (Director of Sales, IT Manager, etc.) goes on the business card.
    Unless you are self-employed, it is the company you work for that supplies the business cards
    and decides what information, including title, goes on the card.

If you are self-employed, you would create and pay for your own business cards.
    At that point, you're free to put whatever information you want on them.

Normally, the name of the business, as well as the job title, give a pretty good indication
    of "what you're doing.":)
    Well, I don't have a regular job so I can consider myself as a self-employed ;)
    Actually I have some project with different groups, but before my CV I would like to present my personal business card.
    In my mind that cards doesn't have a specific subject, except giving my contact address to other interesting people

< Previous | Next >