<Much> must surely depend...

Jin akashini

vietnamese
Hi every one,

I would like to ask you the meaning of "Much" in this context. I don't know what it means.

"Baily (2012: 382) declared that ‘‘the benefit of private tutoring is unarguable’’; and U ¨ nal et al. (2010: 5513) asserted that ‘‘private tutoring, like any teaching and learning interaction, undoubtedly has positive outcomes for individuals.’’ Such statements need scrutiny. Much must surely depend on the nature of the tutoring, the volumes of tutoring, the qualities of the tutors, the motivations of the students and many other factors.".

The sentence is drawn from a document named "The impact of shadow education on student academic achievement: Why the research is inconclusive and what can be done about it". And below is the link for your more information.

The impact of shadow education on student academic achievement: Why the research is inconclusive and what can be done about it.

Thanks,

• Jin akashini

vietnamese
    Dear Florentia52, I know the meaning of much like "a great quantity, measure, or degree:not much to do;He owed much of his success to his family" (like your point)

What I do not understand is that what "much" means in the context above. Does "much" mean " many of statements" or persons or what ?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    No, it doesn't refer to statements or people. I take it to mean "A great deal must surely depend on the nature of the tutoring..."

In other words, some authorities (quoted in the text you've provided) state categorically that private tutoring is beneficial, but (according to the author), those assertions should be scrutinized. The nature of the tutoring, and the other factors listed in the final sentence, are important factors. A lot ("much") depends on thsm.

< Previous | Next >