much of a grinder

< Previous | Next >

graceaugust

Vietnamese
Hi,

Could anyone please help to clarify the meaning of the phrase "a much of a grind" in this sentences: "It’s actually a little easier for me to do a little more when I’m winning. I’m not as tight, it’s not as much of a grind. It definitely boosts my confidence" (quoted from the book Organize Your Team Today by Dr Jason Selk and Tom Bartow). I looked it up in the dictionary and found a grind might be a swot (Oxford). If so, does a tight grind mean someone who is rigid, always follows rules? Thanks a lot!

• owlman5

English-US
    Hi, Grace. As far as I can tell from the language you quoted, "it's not as much of a grind" refers to something the speaker is doing. "Grind" doesn't refer to the speaker himself. Perhaps the speaker is telling you that training for some sport is not as much of a grind when he is winning. "It's not as much of a grind" should mean that this activity is more enjoyable or tolerable when he is winning.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    A grind in this context is a long period of hard, unrewarding work. I don't think it has anything to do with students who study a lot instead of having fun or with following rules.

graceaugust

Vietnamese
    Thank you very much for your replies. I realized what was wrong with my assumption and got it clear now.

< Previous | Next >