much/something/a_bit/nothing of a/the scholar

I was wondering if you could possibly tell me how you translate these two English sentences into Finnish:

1. He was/is/will_be much/something/a_bit/nothing of a scholar.
2. He had/has/will_have much/something/a_bit/nothing of the scholar in/about him.
(Source: Hidesaburo Saito: "Saito's Idiomological English-Japanese Dictionary, New Revised and Enlarged Edition" [ Tokyo: Iwanami Shoten, 1968 ] )

Do you use nouns in the partitive case, I wonder?

Thank you so much in advance for your kind co-operations.

Last edited:
  • Maunulan Pappa

Finnish
    Depending on the context, I might say

Hänessä on hiukan tutkijaa or Hänessä on hiukan tutkijan vikaa (positive)

or

Hänessä ei ole (yhtään) tutkijaa (tutkijan vikaa) (negative).

These are idiomatic and not too formal. In both positive and negative sentences, the object (tutkija, vika) is in the partitive case (tutkijaa, vikaa). In positive examples, you use the partitive because the noun is preceded by an expression of amount (hiukan). In negative sentence, you always use the partitive.

Depending on the context, I might say

Hänessä on hiukan tutkijaa or Hänessä on hiukan tutkijan vikaa (positive)

or

Hänessä ei ole (yhtään) tutkijaa (tutkijan vikaa) (negative).

These are idiomatic and not too formal. In both positive and negative sentences, the object (tutkija, vika) is in the partitive case (tutkijaa, vikaa). In positive examples, you use the partitive because the noun is preceded by an expression of amount (hiukan). In negative sentence, you always use the partitive.
    Thank you so much, Mr. Moomin Pappa, no Maunulan Pappa! Would you mind adding which sentence corresponds to which of 1. and 2., and to the one with which adjective?