Much thanks/Many thanks

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
Me again~

I just read the following dialogues from the textbook:

A: May I help you, madam?
B: Yes, I want to go to the airport.
A: Let me help you with your luggage.
B: Much thanks. Do you think we can get there before 10:00?
A: We should make it if the lights are green.
Do you find much thanks odd in this case? I'd say it's incorrect because Many thanks is the term what I have learned about. I'd like your confirmation.

Last edited:
  • Loob

English UK
    Hi kenny:)

"Much thanks" is an older usage. I only ever* say it as a joke, and usually in the form of a quotation from Shakespeare: "for this relief much thanks".

I'd say it's quite inappropriate in the dialogue given in your textbook.

*EDIT Oops, I've realised I also sometimes say it in the negative: Well, you didn't get much thanks for all your hard work, did you? It's not a joke then, though it would be said with a wry smile.

Last edited:

taked4700

japanese japan
    Hi,

I sometimes come across 'Much thanks' being used to show thankfulness.

Is it right to use 'Much thanks' in place of 'Many thanks'?

Many/Much thanks in advance.

Klystron29

Guernsey, GB English
    Hi Taked4700,
    No, we would not say (nor write) to anyone "Much thanks". It is common to say "Thank you" or "Thank you very much".

GerardM

French
    Hi everyone,

As a non native English-speaking guy and with my tiny brain, I'd say that much is used with uncountable things only and the "S" at the end of "Thanks" shows a countable thing here!
    So many thanks.

~~ edit
    Googling with "much thanks" (with quotes) shows a good number of hits!!

Wilma_Sweden

Swedish (Scania)
    Googling with "much thanks" (with quotes) shows a good number of hits!!
    Using Google only shows that someone, somewhere, has written it, and that text is online, including this thread...

The British National Corpus has 5 samples of 'much thanks', and 239 of 'many thanks'.

The American Corpus has 8 samples of 'much thanks', and 205 of 'many thanks'.

These corpora contain text and speech by native speakers only, and therefore, stastistics from these are much more likely to be reliable than stastistics from Google that can contain any number of grammar mistakes from second-language speakers. My conclusion is that 'Much thanks' is not unheard of, at least in speech, but it's so rare that I wouldn't ever consider saying it.

/Wilma

Camlearner

Khmer
    Hi

Someone just say MILLION THANKS in email to me.
    I want to reply back that don't thanks me a lot like that until million thanks for just small small thing so should I reply:

Please don't give me much thanks or many thanks ? This make me start to think about how is thanks singular or plural ? because if thanks is plural then it's good or correct to say I would like to give you 100 thanks for that 10 helps which one my 10 thanks for your help 1 time and you help me 10 times already until today. etc.

Thanks

PS: Also whether MILLION THANKS is used by native speakers or just by second language speakers? This one email sent from my second language speaker friend.

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    I agree with alex: the phrase is 'Thanks a million' and it doesn't work using other numbers.
    You wouldn't say 'Thanks a hundred' or 'Thanks a dozen'

Camlearner

Khmer
    Thanks Bevj.
    - So is 'Thanks a million' = 'Million thanks' like my friend emailed to me ?
    - And I wonder whether 'Thanks a million' or Million thanks is formal or not formal English ? e.g. in a book acknolwedgement page, can author write: Million thanks to Mr. Ta Ra Ta Ra for his help to edit my book... etc. ?
    - So we don't say 'Thanks a billion or a trillion or a thousand' ... just curious :) but it should and must be understandable indeed ! at least me!

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    When the soldier being relieved on the battlements of Elsinore in the opening scene of Hamlet says For this relief much thanks, he was using an idiom which was common at the time, I think.

Much thanks is quite common in 17th Century texts. It may have been derived, I understand, from Grammercy, (Grand merci in French).

As people have said, it is now unusual - it would sound archaic - and Many thanks is standard.

I think 'million thanks' is correct in view of grammar. It is a compound noun number + noun, like forty miles or three weeks for instance.

'Thanks a million' is a kind of idiom. So there is no rule or explanation. It is used in informal way. You can find another idiom like 'thanks a bunch' which means thanks. Ex: Thanks a bunch for your help. He said "thanks a bunch" and walked out.

Hope this help.

Camlearner

Khmer
    Thank you classicmisa for your help and Rover for your clarifying.

I also wait to hear answers to my questions posted in post #7. Please direct answer YES or NO although details I like.

- So is 'Thanks a million' = 'Million thanks' like my friend emailed to me ?
    - And I wonder whether 'Thanks a million' or Million thanks is formal or not formal English ? e.g. in a book acknolwedgement page, can author write: Million thanks to Mr. Ta Ra Ta Ra for his help to edit my book... etc. ?
    - So we don't say 'Thanks a billion or a trillion or a thousand' ... just curious :) but it should and must be understandable indeed ! at least me!

Elwintee

England English
    Thanks Bevj.
    - So is 'Thanks a million' = 'Million thanks' like my friend emailed to me ? :tick: [but it's informal and not idiomatic]
    It is very informal.
    [Answer] In a book acknowledgment you would say something like "my warmest / heartfelt thanks to .... for his help with editing my book". In answer to the first question, formally you wouldn't use 'don't give me much/many thanks...', you would say 'Please don't thank me...'.

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    You would have to say 'A million thanks'.
    I think it is grammatically correct but you are much likelier to hear 'Thanks a million'.
    In a more formal situation I would say '(Very) many thanks'.

ribran

English - American
    Hi

Someone just say MILLION THANKS in email to me.
    I want to reply back that don't thanks me a lot like that until million thanks for just small small thing so should I reply:

Please don't give me much thanks or many thanks ?
    I would say, "(Oh,) There's (there's) no need to thank me."

< Previous | Next >