mud worker

zapzap

Italian
Hi!

I'm doing a translation about old buildings in Greek villages. Here's the sentence:

The groups of masons were organized into guilds,the mobs. Each clan included all disciplines,builders,plasterers,mud workers.

Actually, two words sound strange: mobs and mud workers. Probably stones were assembled with mud...I only want to know if everything more specific comes to the mind of an English native...

Thanks!

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'Clan' also sounds strange. Does clan here mean the guild or mob, or does it mean its actual meaning, phratry or tribe? I also suspect someone is not a native. 'Mud worker' doesn't mean anything to me, though next to 'plasterer' it's suggestive of someone plastering walls with mud, or perhaps making mud bricks.

zapzap

Italian
    Was the text written by a historian who is a native speaker of English? Are you translating from English into Italian? Or from Greek into English and then into Italian? :confused:
    I'm translating from English into Italian something that was previously translated from Greek into English. Doesn't it sound funny in English the expression 'mud worker'? Anyway, they used mud for the buildings so I'll see what I can do...What about the 'mob'?
    Thanks!

se16teddy

English - England
    Several words sound funny. I thought this might be because they were technical terms in the history of Greek vernacular architecture, which is not a subject I am expert in. But I am beginning to suspect that they are funny because the author has a limited grasp of the English language. I think your guess at what they mean is as good as ours, zapzap.
    'Mud worker' doesn't mean anything to me, though next to 'plasterer' it's suggestive of someone plastering walls with mud, or perhaps making mud bricks.
    That's what I thought. "Mud" might refer to mud, daub or even clay, used to make walls or bricks. "Mob" is odd too, but the author has tried to explain what he means by it.

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    zapzap, I suspect the original you are working from is a translation from Greek into English. It will be useful to know, since "mud workers" sounds very strange.

Traditionally, Greek village houses were built with local stone, wood, and mud (for mortar). I don't think there is an equivalent English word.

Last edited:

zapzap

Italian
    Thank you for your help! I think I'll be flexible with my translation and try to convey something that makes sense in Italian :).

< Previous | Next >