multiple choice question.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Hidetomo, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Hidetomo

Hidetomo Member

Japanese
    Hello, I teach English and here is a question in the textbook.

What happens when you ask someone to draw a map of the world? A common error is the tendency to make Europe too large and Africa too small. People from everywhere tend to draw the world this way, including ( )!

Choose one from below to fill the blank.
    1) Europeans
    2) East Asians
    3) Americans
    4) Africans

The correct answer is 4), but I wonder if 1) is also correct. What do you think?

Thank you in advance.

2. bennymix

bennymix Senior Member

Ontario, Canada. I grew up in US.
    English (American).
    1), if inserted, makes the sentence true in a way, but inserting 'Europeans' sort of defeats the point of the sentence.

My second choice might be 2). First choice, 4).

3. Hidetomo

Hidetomo Member

Japanese
    Hello, bennymix and thank you for your reply.

People from everywhere tend to draw the world this way, including Europeans.

Could you tell me how inserting "Europeans" defeats the point of the sentence?

Aren't Europeans and Africans the same in not being able to draw the map of their own continent correctly? That is what I can't figure out...

4. velisarius

velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    This is a question of logic. It seems only human to draw your own country/continent larger because it's more important to you. If Africans drew Africa smaller, that is noteworthy.

5. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    The only answer that makes sense is "Africans". The punctuation shows that it is an exclamation. Africans live in Africa so they might be expected to know how big Africa is. But no, even Africans get it wrong.

What is this test supposed to be testing? A question that relies entirely on an exclamation mark to identify the correct answer seems pretty advanced.

In reality it's no surprise. The normal projection for world maps has an increasing exaggeration of area the further from the Equator the place is. Why wouldn't Africans draw the world the same as everybody else?

6. bennymix

bennymix Senior Member

English (American).
    Europeans can be expected to make Europe large, just as Americans make the US large. The interesting point though is if Africans go along with making their continent smaller than it should be.

7. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    It's unremarkable. This is a typical map of the world as hung on classroom walls. The text says only that Africa is drawn too small, but nothing about how Americans draw America or Europeans draw Europe.

[​IMG]

8. Hidetomo

Hidetomo Member

Japanese
    Thank you, everyone, for your kind reply. I think I got the point and Africans is the correct answer.

9. bennymix

bennymix Senior Member

English (American).
    I take your point, Andy, but the phrase "normal projection" is a bit biased (instead of Mercator), and I have doubts if it's still most common, these days.

There are two effects here, one of projection, the other of egocentrism. For a map of Texas bigger than the rest of US, for example, see map 6, here:

22 Jokes About Texas That Are Actually Funny

===

Robinson projection shows areas about right:

Robinson projection - Wikipedia

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  10. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    What do you mean by "biased"? If you go shopping for a poster map of the world, most of the ones you will find use Mercator's projection. A quick online image search for "world map" demonstrates that. There are several alternatives, but they are not as commonly seen on classroom walls.