murder-suicide

alibey71

Türkçe
"Donald J. Trump’s supporters were probably heartened in September, when, according to an article shared nearly a million times on Facebook, the candidate received an endorsement from Pope Francis. Their opinions on Hillary Clinton may have soured even further after reading a Denver Guardian article that also spread widely on Facebook, which reported days before the election that an F.B.I. agent suspected of involvement in leaking Mrs. Clinton’s emails was found dead in an apparent murder-suicide." (Zeynep Tufekci, "Mark Zuckerberg is in Denial", New York Times, 15 November 2016.

"A murder-suicide is an act in which an individual kills more than one person either before or while killing themselves" (Wikipedia) but I think the mentioned "murder-suicide" above means "murder or suicide", am I wrong?

• kentix

English - U.S.
    If the police aren't sure of the cause and those are two possibilities they might call it a suspicious death, meaning they don't think it was natural causes. Murder-suicide is always a minimum of two deaths, where one of the two is the perpetrator.