Murphy's Law: If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Baltic Sea, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Baltic Sea Banned

Polish
    Hello everybody!

I would like to make sure that I get right the sentence below:

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.

The way I understand it is as follows:

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one (thing) that will cause the most damage will be the one (thing) that will go wrong.

By "going wrong" in case of "the thing" I mean a situation or an event that will become unpleasant and result in damage.

What do tou think?

2. catlady60

catlady60 Senior Member

Nazareth, PA
    English-US (New York City)
    Murphy's Law is worded as such: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong, and at the least opportune time.
    In other words, if a situation is possibly undesirable, it's guaranteed to be undesirable, especially when you least expect it.

Example: suppose I'm taking a long drive to visit a friend halfway across the country. There is a possibility my car might break down, so guess what happened: the engine seized in the middle of a rural road where the nearest neighbor is a mile away. Not only is the nearest mechanic an hour from the location of the breakdown, but to add insult to injury, my cell/mobile phone won't work; the towing costs as much as my car itself; and it will take three days and three times the money I have in my bank account to have my engine repaired or replaced. Now this is Murphy's law.
    I'm exaggerating to show you what Murphy's law is.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  3. Baltic Sea Banned

Polish
    Thank you very much, Catlady60.

4. heypresto

heypresto Senior Member

South East England
    English - England
    There are many versions and variations of Murphy's Law. You might find it interesting to look here.:)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  5. Baltic Sea Banned

Polish
    Thank you all.