muscle ache(s), muscle pain, sore muscle: which is popular?

mikichan

Chinese
Which would you say:

1. I have a muscle ache. / I have muscle aches.
2. I have muscle pain.
3. I have a sore muscle. / I have sore muscles.

I got far more google results for #2. Does anyone say #1 or #3?

Thank you.

• Myridon

English - US
    The ngrams for AE don't bear you out, Parla. Muscle pain scores highest of the three.
    Look at the quotes in context. "Have muscle pain" is medical jargon. There are a lot of published works written in medical jargon about muscle pain. That doesn't help us with "What would you say?"

Linkway

British English

Thank you.

It's important not to misinterpret Google results.
    eg
    search for: "i plenty muscle pain aches have" (in quotes therefore ONLY the exact phrase) = zero results.
    search for: i plenty muscle pain aches have (without quotes therefore any combination of any of those words.

In any case, according to Google's own advice, the headline figure eg "About 3,600,000 results" should not be relied on. (See Google Webmaster Central, and Google Search help forums.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    It's important not to misinterpret Google results.
    eg
    search for: "i plenty muscle pain aches have" (in quotes therefore ONLY the exact phrase) = zero results.
    search for: i plenty muscle pain aches have (without quotes therefore any combination of any of those words.

In any case, according to Google's own advice, the headline figure eg "About 3,600,000 results" should not be relied on. (See Google Webmaster Central, and Google Search help forums.
    I'm sure you're clear that there's a lot of difference between a Google search and ngrams.

fikio

English - United States
    Which would you say:

1. I have a muscle ache. / I have muscle aches.
    2. I have muscle pain.
    3. I have a sore muscle. / I have sore muscles.

Thank you.
    These 3 sentences have different meanings. An "ache" describes a throbbing sensation. "Pain" is general and can refer to many different sensations (eg, a dull pain, a stabbing pain). A "sore muscle" is typically used to describe the feeling the day after exercising. Of course one doesn't have to have been exercising to use "sore muscle," but that is the sensation that they are describing.

< Previous | Next >