Muscular / beefy

LukasGER

German
Hello everyone,

Can the words "muscular" and "beefy" be used interchangeably in this context?

1) He goes to the gym regularly. He looks very beefy.
2) He goes to the gym regularly. He looks very muscular.

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    Can the words "muscular" and "beefy" be used interchangeably?
    I have also heard speakers use beefy to refer to fat people, Lukas. In the context you provided, beefy seems to refer to muscularity rather than obesity.

It is probably saying too much to claim that those two words are completely interchangeable. When I hear beefy, I tend to associate the adjective with thick, fleshy, and meaty.

Last edited:

ewie

English English
    It is probably saying too much to claim that those two words are completely interchangeable. When I hear beefy, I tend to associate the adjective with thick, fleshy, and meaty.
    :) :thumbsup: The same in BrE. It can be a compliment, but it often isn't. Buff is always a compliment:)

Packard

USA, English
    "Muscular" to me is the result of some sort of exercise.

"Powerfully built" might be natural or the result of the kind of work the person does. It could also be the result of some sort of exercise, but then I would revert to "muscular".

ThePing

English - American Midwest
    A woman could be muscular. A woman would not be called beefy.
    Well, you could call a woman beefy. It'd more than likely be taken as being insulting, however. I suppose it may just be me but calling a woman beefy would kind of be like calling her mannish. Or just fat, as other have mentioned.

< Previous | Next >