mushy brain

< Previous | Next >

KYC

Mandarin
Hello, there:
I came across a term "mushy".
My source says "If you describe someone or something as mushy, you mean that they are very sentimental."
Sorry I don't have any context.

When I checked the archive , I found it collocated a lot with "brain". "My brain maybe be mushy, for example.
My question is if it is a very common usage to native speakers' ears?
Also, does it mean "The writer can't think clearly."? Because I don't think it makes sense from the related thread I checked if it means "very sentimental" from my source.

Could you enlighten me, please?

Thanks a lot!

• KYC

Mandarin
    Thanks a lot!
    Sorry, I still can't grasp the metaphorical way.
    I understand "soft heart" but "Someone's head is soft and soggy." is beyond my understanding.

Does it mean "not smart"?

Could you please rephrase it for me?
    Thanks a lot for your help!

Myridon

English - US
    In metaphors, your head or your brain is equivalent to your intellect, your powers of thinking, ...
    My brain is mushy = I'm not thinking well because my brain has turned to mush. Mush is also a hot cereal dish like oatmeal, cream of wheat, farina, semolina, ... Oatmeal is mushy, wet mud is mushy, fruit that is too ripe is mushy, ...

Packard

USA, English
    When someone is thinking clearly they are said to be "sharp"; "dull" or "mushy" would be the opposite of "sharp".

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Mushy has a range of meanings. Here are two definitions from the OED.

1. Soft and pulpy; lacking solidity or firmness. In extended use: lacking clarity or definition, indistinct
    A mushy brain is incapable of clear rational thought.

2. fig. Sentimental, insipidly romantic.

Obviously there is no connection whatever between the two :rolleyes:

< Previous | Next >