Musical instrument: sazlarda?

hanne

I heard that "sazlarda" should apparently be a traditional Turkish musical instrument. However I can't find anything on it on google or wikipedia, so I'm guessing the name is incorrect.
Can anyone tell me what the name should be?
Thank you for any help.

• Volcano

Turkey-Turkish
    I heard that "sazlarda" should apparently be a traditional Turkish musical instrument. However I can't find anything on it on google or wikipedia, so I'm guessing the name is incorrect.
    Thank you for any help.
    It is saz

Maurice92

France french
    Thank you for any help.
    I have a suggestion :
    The "saz" is a musical instrument used in Turkey.
    "lar" is a mark of plural in turkish (or "ler", depending of the consonant of the last syllab, for saz, it is "lar".
    "da" is a mark of locative .
    I don't know if it make sense, but why not ? something as "near the saz's"?

Fractal7

Turkish
    Saz is the name of the musical instrument. Sazlar is the plural form. Da is what your grammar book says for kitaplarda, okullarda, evlerde ...

To add more detail; sometimes musicians use the word "sazlar" to talk about the whole orchestra or multiple musical instruments. For example "yaylı sazlar" means "yaylı çalgılar", "yaylı enstrümanlar" and they all mean "stringed instruments".

Ander

France
    Saz is the name of the musical instrument. Sazlar is the plural form. Da is what your grammar book says for kitaplarda, okullarda, evlerde ...
    I can understand that something is "in the books, in the schools, in the houses", but how do you explain that something is "in the sazs" (or sazes, I don't know how to put saz in the plural).

As Volcano suggests, if saz means reed then sazlarda is OK. Or as Veronica suggests sazlarda means "among the musicians" or "among the instruments".

Last edited:

Fractal7

Turkish
    Even though da is translated as in, among, at to English, it is not always like that. It can also be something totally different. It is something like a preposition. There is never one-to-one match between prepositions of different languages. So its meaning depends on the sentence. We can not translate da into English as we can not translate at into Turkish. It requires some experience to learn where to use them. The word that is important here is sazlar.

ukuca

Turkish - Turkey
    To add more detail; sometimes musicians use the word "sazlar" to talk about the whole orchestra or multiple musical instruments. For example "yaylı sazlar" means "yaylı çalgılar", "yaylı enstrümanlar" and they all mean "stringed instruments".
    Or as Veronica suggests sazlarda means "among the musicians" or "among the instruments".
    "Saz" doesn't necessarily refer to a group of instruments or a whole orhestra. The term can be used to refer to a single instrument. Musicians use the word "saz" for their instrument, no matter the kind, woodwind, brass, strings, etc. Before the word "enstrüman" (instrument), they were called "saz". It's also a name of a traditional instrument, "saz" or "bağlama" as we know of.

turkishspeaker

turkish
    saz means instrument in turkish. turkish traditional instrument is baglama it is a traditional saz in turkey.most of people in turkey think that saz is baglama but it is not :) but sazlarda is hmmmm saz-lar-da ...where did you hear it?:D

tulpan

Turkish-Turkey and Swedish-Sweden (bilingual)
    Thank you for any help.
    Kullanmak: to use
    Tahta=wood
    Tree=agaç
    Yok olmak=disappaer
    Kötü= bad
    cila=varnish
    hiçbir zaman= never
    zaman=time

I am just guessing...the possible use of sazlarda:

1. Sazlarda kullanilan tahta X agacindan gelir.
    The wood that is used in sazlar originates from X tree.

2. Sazlar da (when you write da separetely it means also) yok olmuslar.

a) Even the sazlar disappeared/ have disappeared.
    b) She/he said that even the sazlar have disappeared.

3. Sazlarda hiçbir zaman kötü cila kullanilmamali.

Bad (quality) varnish should be never used on sazlar.

< Previous | Next >