musical temperament

< Previous | Next >

Josh_

U.S., English
Hi all,

I'm curious, is there an Arabic term for "musical temperament?" If not, how could it be translated? After thinking about it for about an hour, all I can come up with is "الضبط الموسيقي."

For an explanation please see the Wikipedia article on 'musical temperament' here.

• Xence

Algeria (Arabic - French)
    Hi,

It's worth to note that Arabic music has a quite different tuning system from Western music, called maqaam (plural : maqaamaat).

More details in the Wikipedia article about Arabian maqam.

Muhammad94

Arabic
    Hi mate

As Xence said there is a difference between both the western and eastern tuning system

anyway , I think the best Arabic equivalent for the phrase would be " Maqaam el Nagam" مَقَامُ النَّغَمِ but again it is not the quite meaning for musical temperament.

Josh_

U.S., English
    Hi guys,

Yes, I am aware that Arabic music is quite different from western music.

Both systems are structured and as such have a set of rules to which they adhere, otherwise the sound generated therein would be sheer cacophony. It's a term to describe that overall system of rules that I'm interested in. I'm actually not asking about Arabic music or western music per se, but music in general. The Wikipedia article I linked to above was meant merely to acquaint those unfamiliar to musical temperament with the concept.

Music can be thought of as a language of sorts and the idea of 'musical temperament' can be thought of as representing (at least a part of) the grammar of that language -- more specifically, the phonology, I suppose. It is that general idea that I'm after.

I actually would like a term that encompasses all the rules of music in the same way that 'grammar' is the umbrella term that covers all the aspects of language structure. There does not appear to be one for Western music (that I am aware of) and likewise there may not be one for Arabic music.

So I guess 'musical temperament' will have to serve my purposes.

Thank you for your suggestion Muhammad. That may serve to represent the idea of the Arabic music tuning system specifically, but seems to not quite represent the general idea I am after, as you rightly opined.

I was equally unsatisfied with my suggestion الضبط الموسيقي, but I guess it may have to do.

Last edited:

Xence

Algeria (Arabic - French)
    In Andalusian Arabic music, they often use the word (الطبع الموسيقي - الطبوع الموسيقية)aطبْع for such an idea. This comes from the terminology introduced by the great medieval musician Ziryab in his book شجرة الطبوع in which he made analogy between musical tones and Aristotelian humors. This word طبع is sometimes rendered as mode, but I saw someone in a musical forum translate it as temperament.

< Previous | Next >