must assist dressed with a cape, and that said cape must be brand new and identical for all participants. (comma)

J. Holmes

Spanish
Hello all,

I am having some doubts about the use of commas in the following sentence:

The book prescribes that the participants must assist dressed with a cape, and that said cape must be brand new and identical for all participants.

I assume (1) that the comma after cape is correct; and (2) that there should not be a comma after new. Am I correct?

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Cholo234

American English
    I assume (1) that the comma after cape is correct, because the following clause is independent; and (2) that there should not be a comma after new, because the following clause is not independent. Am I correct?
    "To attach a dependent clause, use a comma if it comes before the independent clause; use no comma if it comes after the independent clause, unless it is a “contrast word” (although, though, even though, whereas)." Dec 5, 2019

"Noun clauses are dependent clauses that can replace any noun in the sentence: subjects, objects, and/or subject complements. In all, there are five different functions that a noun clause can serve: subjects, direct objects, indirect objects, objects of the preposition, and subject complements." Jun 12, 2021

A comma after new isn't necessary. Identical for all purposes isn't a clause (there's no verb).

Last edited:

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    I think the comma after "cape" is optional, because the two "that"-clauses are subordinate, dependent.
    (Is "assist" a Hispanism for "attend"?)

J. Holmes

Spanish
    Thanks Cholo234 and Cenzontle.

I therefore understand that the sentence is ok.

Cenzontle, you are probably right in that the first comma is optional, but I find it useful to mark a pause.