must be at 90 degrees at very hgh acceleration around the corner.

< Previous | Next >

alice2010

Cantonese
The sentence is :
When a box shaped cavity is machined with a side wall-draft angle of 15 degrees, the tilt angle of the tool must be rotated 90 degrees at each quadrant point. To avoid slowing down the cutting process, the spindle head must be at 90 degrees at very hgh acceleration around the corner.
What's the meaning of the red part? Thank you!

Last edited:
  • alice2010

Cantonese
    This is confusing. Your title and the part in red are not related. Which do you want to ask about?

Also, please tell us a little bit about the kind of machine this is, and the operation being described. What are they making?
    Sorry for confusing <you>. This patent is about a spindle head of a milling machine. I think I've understood the meaning of 'a side wall-draft angle', but the second red part is still a question...

Last edited by a moderator:

Andygc

British English
    , the spindle head must be at 90 degrees at very high acceleration around the corner.
    This fragment of text does not make sense. If it said "must turn through 90 degrees at very high acceleration" that would appear to make sense.
    Alternatively, it might just be badly written, and be intended to mean that the spindle head will be subjected to very high acceleration when it turns to the new position (at 90 degrees to its previous position) "It must be at (the) 90 degrees (position) (very quickly and will be subjected) at to very high acceleration around the corner".
    Is there a transcription error?

Last edited:

alice2010

Cantonese
    This fragment of text does not make sense. If it said "must turn through 90 degrees at very high acceleration" that would appear to make sense.
    Alternatively, it might just be badly written, and be intended to mean that the spindle head will be subjected to very high acceleration when it turns to the new position (at 90 degrees to its previous position) "It must be at (the) 90 degrees (position) (very quickly and will be subjected) at to very high acceleration around the corner".
    Is there a transcription error?
    This sentence is extracted from a patent US5584621. I am not sure whether there is an error. Can you tell me the meaning of "around the corner"?? Thanks!

The question is highly technical. Imagine if we cut something off, any angle between the object and knife or scissors may work out, but no better or faster than 90 degrees. Acceleration or motion of the spindle head determines its performance, the higher RPM would normally work faster than that of moving slowly..

Andygc

British English
    OK, I have read that section of the patent. It is not a transcription error, but it seems very poor English (like many patent documents!) The point of the device is its ability to move the cutting head axis very quickly through 90 degrees. The example chosen is cutting a box-shaped cavity - the axis of rotation of the cutter must turn through 90 degrees to cut the next face to achieve the internal corner of the cavity. Previous machines used a geared drive to rotate the the cutter spindle, but that is a relatively slow way of reorientating the cutter. This new machine mounts the cutter in a way that allows it to be re-positioned quickly.

I think the English translation of the patent could be:

To avoid slowing down the cutting process, the spindle head must reposition through 90 degrees very quickly.

I can't think how to get acceleration in there without making it much longer!

< Previous | Next >