mutabık kaldığı paket

josh612

American English
I am reading Euronews and came across what is for me a new grammar construction...the word "kaldığı" which I assume is a form of kalmak. Can someone explain its use in the following sentence?

Gece boyunca süren görüşmeler sonucunda maliye bakanlarının mutabık kaldığı paket, Güney Kıbrıs'ın 17 milyar Euroluk beklentilerinin altında kaldı.

• spiraxo

turkey, turkish
    Hi,
    I am reading Euronews and came across what is for me a new grammar construction...the word "kaldığı" which I assume is a form of kalmak. Can someone explain its use in the following sentence?
    -dık is a relative clause suffix. I hope the link still works, see p. 85 and p. 380.

-DIK and -(y)AcAK form all three types of subordinate clause. .. -DIK: This suffix usually expresses present or past time. It forms:
    (ii) Participles: göreme-diğ-im (film) ‘(the film) that I was not able to see’, öpüş-tüğ-ü (kız) ‘(the girl) whom s/he has kissed/is kissing’ (see 25.1.1.2).

Vroot + dık + possessive suffix
    Note that k at the end of the suffix becomes ğ, except 3rd person plural.

:)

Last edited:

Reverence

Turkish
    Indeed. "Kaldığı" is "kal-" turned gerundial. "Maliye bakanlarının mutabık kaldığı" means "upon which the ministers of finance agreed".

< Previous | Next >