mutton chop

MaryamSeresht

Persian
Hello,

I would be appreciated if you tell me about the mutton chop here:

"Good night, my darling mutton chop," he said to Mutt(his female dog}."

I've found that mutton chop has 2 meaning:
1- chop cut from a mature sheep
2- facial hair that has grown down the side of a man's face in front of the ears.

I guess the 2nd one applies here, but I'm not sure. Is this a common sentence for calling a dog out of kindness? my darling mutton chop

It's part of Inheritance of Loss, a novel by Kiran Dessay.

Best Regards and lots of thanks.

• owlman5

English-US
    Ridiculous nouns and phrases like "mutton chop", "lamb chop", "muffin", "honey bun", etc., are commonly used by people when they are talking to pets, children, spouses, etc. This use of "mutton chop" would sound perfectly normal in the speech of some guy who loves his dog, particularly one whose name is "Mutt".

Last edited:
    No, it is not a common way to describe a dog.

What I think is happening here is that he is making a play on words. The dog's name is "Mutt," so he calls her "mutton chop" as a joke. So it has nothing to do with the definition of "mutton chop" and it is not a term of endearment at all; it is just this particular person's play on words. Does that make sense?

As for dogs:

People will add diminutives to speak to their dogs, but they mostly have a "y" sound at the end. A common diminutive for "Mutt" would be "Muttie." Sometimes if the dog's name is the beginning of a longer word or phrase, they will call the dog that as a joke or for fun (as above). I can't think of any good examples now but if I do think of one I will let you know.

I was writing my response when owlman5 posted. It looks like we have slightly different interpretations of this.

I have never heard somebody call their dog "mutton chop" (it is a cut of meat to eat!! so it would sound very odd to me) but indeed "honey bun" and "muffin" are common.

owlman5

English-US
    I agree, Laika, that "mutton chop" also sounds like an endearing extension of the name "Mutt". I have heard mothers call their embarrassed, squirming children "lamb chop", "pork roast", "my little peanut" and other absurd things, however. I also hear these ridiculous terms being swapped between spouses and lovers. When I hear them, I generally wish that I hadn't. :)

Haha. Yes, it could very well be something those "on the fringe" say (to put it politely!). I personally couldn't imagine calling my dog or kid "pork roast" but to each his own!! :)

MaryamSeresht

Persian
    Thank you all dear friends. Your comments were a great help. I've not thought about mutt and mutton chop! Yes, it's playing with words. Lots of thanks.:)

< Previous | Next >