mutton dressed as lamb

swim4life

Chinese, China
Hi there,

I understand this phrase describes a woman. Do you native speakers have an idiomatic phrase to describe to a man who pretends to be young?

Thanks!

• ewie

English English
    I agree, Swim4: I see no reason not to use it to refer to men as well as women.
    You could use the He dresses too young for his age, but I wouldn't call that an 'idiom'.

Loob

English UK
    Interesting, GWB and ewie: I don't think I've seen mutton dressed as lamb used for men.

I think for a man I'd use something like ewie's dressing too young for his age, or - more likely - I'd simply describe what the chap concerned was wearing.

In practice, I'd probably do that in relation to a woman, too. I think the only time I use mutton dressed as lamb is to myself: "For heaven's sake, Loob, don't buy that leopardskin hoodie:eek:: you'll look like mutton dressed as lamb".

ewie

English English
    Hmmm... around here the young man is sometimes called a 'twink' while an older man pretending to be young is a 'crumpet.'
    :eek::D:eek::D Your post caused me to choke on my crumpet, LG. I'm only familiar with the word twink in a rather specialized context to mean slim very young man with not a hair on him (the opposite of bear). And your crumpet is a brand new one to me ~ in slightly dated BE slang it refers to an attractive young woman predominantly, as in: She's a nice bit of crumpet.

Nymeria

English - Barbadian/British/educated in US universities blend
    :eek::D:eek::D Your post caused me to choke on my crumpet, LG. I'm only familiar with the word twink in a rather specialized context to mean slim very young man with not a hair on him (the opposite of bear). And your crumpet is a brand new one to me ~ in slightly dated BE slang it refers to an attractive young woman predominantly, as in: She's a nice bit of crumpet.
    I was about to say ewie! Cause as far as I know, a twink is, as you said, a slim/lightly muscled young man without much hair on his body. It's gay slang and the name comes from the Twinkie snack cake that's gold and phallic shaped with a yummy cream centre. So this other usage of 'twink' stunned me as well!

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    I understand this phrase describes a woman. Do you native speakers have an idiomatic phrase to describe to a man who pretends to be young?
    I don't use "mutton dressed as lamb" at all (though I've heard it plenty of times), and I don't have a special term for guys doing this. I would probably say "He's trying too hard!" or "He's having a midlife crisis!" or "Look at him overcompensating!" or something. None of them has that exact meaning, but they can all be used for middle-aged/older men doing things that are strange for a man their age to be doing.

< Previous | Next >